• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Consultation- stressed over stressing so much.

A

AnxiousThesia

Firstly before I get to the real meat of this post, I just want to say how grateful I am for stumbling upon this site.

To see that i'm not the only one going through so much anxiety over something that is seemingly so simple. And that there are so many understanding and patient people willing to help us through it.

Just got back from consultation for my impacted Wisdom teeth.

From how quickly the actual meeting with the surgeon went. It went well and the actual procedure would be easy with how my teeth currently are.

For context which I didn't provide in my previous post, this is the first "Major" if you can call a wisdom tooth removal a major operation. surgery done since I was a very small child. And it definitely is the first time I've had any kind of anesthetics besides local anesthetics for fillings and stuff since then. apparently all of my teeth are impacted not just the two lowers which I thought. But they all are partially erupted which makes me feel a bit better about the situation.

Like I said in my previous post, my biggest fear was the anesthetics. Apparently I WILL be having general anesthetics which I was unaware of, I just thought I was getting conscious sedation which scares me quite a bit. I'm terrified of some kind of complication with my overall health while i'm under and not just a complication with my teeth.

But they told me everything would be fine. I would have to be older and a lot worse condition than I am now for something to go very wrong. Or rather a greater chance of that happening. And about my heart, their biggest concern they told me. Is if I was short of breath, couldn't walk up a flight of stairs stuff like that. They didn't mention anything about palpitations. But I am still very anxious about it. And I doubt I won't be fully at ease until it's over sadly.

And then there's the insurance. My dental insurance ends on my birthday which is the twenty fourth of this month. And i'm sure you can guess where this is going. I might not be able to have the operation covered. Which doesn't help my mental state much.

Despite all of the reassurance and stuff like that, I was still stressed some what. And I think the stress has exceeded the actual procedure. And just me being upset over how stressed out I was being and how atleast in my immediate family I was the only one who could understand what I was going through.

And because of that, I finally just broke down crying in the car ride back home. I'm tired of being so stressed that it physically makes me ill. And the person driving me thought it was still about the operation. But I just hated how I was feeling when weeks prior I was happy with life and not as stressed as I am now. And I hated that it seemed like no one could really understand what torment was going through my head.

Thank you for reading.

Anxiousthesia,

First off.. you really despite being stressed and anxious..which most of us really are.. you are stepping it up, you went to an appt, then consult about wisdom teeth and now made appt for the procedure under general even when stressed about it.. This all takes a huge amount of courage.. So I hope you can do something very kind for yourself.

I have always been afraid of general every time I do it,its been a few times, I get really scared the night before and up to the time it happens and have all kinds of anxiuos thoughts.. but then it always go so smoothly and I'm done.. the worst part is right before.. actually I even had something "abnormal" about my ekg this last time and they told me it would be just fine and I was.. if you think of all the people who have heart and brain transplants and such and under surgery for hours and still make it out.. that is what brought me some comfort.. and the fact that the medicines now make it easier on our systems and less side effects and the training people receive to administer this is so much!

the pressures of all this dental work plus financial stress of it on top is ALOT.... give yourself some grace and know you are handling this well even when its stressful and you need to cry .. let yourself cry and alot of people might not understand or might be trying to hold in their own fears and be strong for you .

Glad you are hear .. I know it helped me to be able to vent to people that truly understood and can be open about it :).. Could you call now and then and see if they get an opening before the end of this month? I work for a Dr office and scheduling and there are always appointments cancelled and rescheduled for sickness, work meetings, etc,,

wishing the best , keep us updated

Thank you so much!

Even though i don't haave a lot to worry about when it comes to being put to sleep, i still hope they just mixed things up and meant light sedation. Because I think they just said i'd be getting an IV and not gas

But not that that matters anymore, because i'll need to find a new surgeon because of my insurance. Apparently after i'm 21 i'll get "Better" insurance with a better variety of doctors and stuff like that. I'm still not sure if i'll be getting dental though. I don't quite remember how that went so apologies if that didn't make a lick of sense, my mind is still in a bit of a haze after being so stressed.

Should I ask for another consultation if I find a new dental surgeon? I'm starting to think everything went "too" smoothly, and not a whole lot was explained. And again especially with the bit about what anesthetics I will be receiving. But then again I've not gone through this too many times to remember any of what would happen. So I don't know if more would've been explained later down the line.

But whether or not i'll be getting general or not, I think it's starting to click in my head that i'm in good hands, I've felt calmer about this than I ever have during this journey.

Also, not that this matters much, but I didn't mean to say all my teeth were impacted, just all of my wisdom teeth lol. Sorry if that caused a lot of concern or confusion.

Last edited:
Back