• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Could somebody help me to identify the problem I am having with my gums? Thanks:)

A

AmyParkes234

Could somebody help me to identify the problem I am having with my gums? Thanks:)

I have not yet been to the dentist but I am getting extremely worried. Recently, every time I brush my teeth I am in excruciating pain and it is getting to a point where I just can't bear it. I have spent a large amount of time online and I have found the following apply to my gums:

-They bleed incredibly and easily
-I constantly have an itchy/sore pain in my gums
-They are very red and swollen
-They hurt whenever touched (very sensitive)
-The 'V' in-between my teeth are inflamed and very red
-There seems to be areas of white around my gum line?
-Over the last couple of days I have also had fevers and felt sick

How hard shall I brush my teeth (with the problems listed above taken in consideration)?

I know most people will say 'go see a dentist' and I will, but first I wanted to get an idea of what the problem is.

So in the mean time; as I am waiting until I do take a visit, what things can I do at home to ensure the pain stops and my gums become healthier

(also if properly treated at home, could this go away without medical treatment?)

Re: Could somebody help me to identify the problem I am having with my gums? Thanks:)

I have not yet been to the dentist but I am getting extremely worried. Recently, every time I brush my teeth I am in excruciating pain and it is getting to a point where I just can't bear it. I have spent a large amount of time online and I have found the following apply to my gums:

-They bleed incredibly and easily
-I constantly have an itchy/sore pain in my gums
-They are very red and swollen
-They hurt whenever touched (very sensitive)
-The 'V' in-between my teeth are inflamed and very red
-There seems to be areas of white around my gum line?
-Over the last couple of days I have also had fevers and felt sick

How hard shall I brush my teeth (with the problems listed above taken in consideration)?

I know most people will say 'go see a dentist' and I will, but first I wanted to get an idea of what the problem is.

So in the mean time; as I am waiting until I do take a visit, what things can I do at home to ensure the pain stops and my gums become healthier

(also if properly treated at home, could this go away without medical treatment?)

I am not a dentist, but it sounds as if you may have inflammation and/or infection in your gum. (I had that too earlier this year) I developed an abscess, had antibiotics (twice) then had a deep cleaning done on the upper/lower part of my teeth. (I go for the other side this coming Monday). Of course, calling your dentist is a very very good idea, since you aren't feeling all that well and it's not getting better. Try rinsing with warm salt rinses twice a day, brush, rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash. Call your dentist, and see if there is anything else he/she suggests you do until you get have your gums looked at.