• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Covid 19: what dental treatments are possible in the UK?

L

Louie1

Hi I’m in the uk does anyone one what treatments are still possible now our dentists have reopened during covid ? I’m thinking i need a tooth either root canalled or extracted thanks

I think extractions aren't a problem it's everything else.
?

so if its a front tooth that needs a root canal or a filling it will have to be extracted instead ?

Since Scotland and England are separate for health issues, it would be helpful to specify which one you're in, although last I checked Skegness was in England :)

Anyway, the guidance in England is that dental practices are not allowed to do anything which can cause an aerosol to be generated. So no root canals. They can have a look, take x-rays and prescribe some antibiotics to buy some time until they can do root canals again.

It's a little different in Scotland where the government have set up emergency treatment centres with appropriate PPE and trained staff who can do a bigger range of treatment. There may be some of those down south but it's been left to local NHS Trusts to do and most of them seem not to have bothered.

The situation in England currently depends on whether you are being treated privately or on the NHS.
Private dentists who have obtained the correct protective equipment and have worked out their safety protocols are now offering all types of treatment. They may or may not be charging higher fees to cover the significant additional costs of keeping the surgery open.
As far as I can fathom, and the situation is confused and changing daily, most NHS dentists are not offering any aerosol generating procedures (which is most things in dentistry) and are referring these patients to the so called urgent treatment centers. They are also doing as little other treatment as possible as they are not being paid the additional fees to cover the increased costs of working. They may have 20% of their fees deducted for laboratory based work that is not being done, so they cannot really do any until they are told what the situation is and the NHS has not yet told them. Absolute shambolic situation.
So, if you need any dental work done, either see a private dentist or wait until the NHS has sorted itself out.

The situation in England currently depends on whether you are being treated privately or on the NHS.
Private dentists who have obtained the correct protective equipment and have worked out their safety protocols are now offering all types of treatment. They may or may not be charging higher fees to cover the significant additional costs of keeping the surgery open.
As far as I can fathom, and the situation is confused and changing daily, most NHS dentists are not offering any aerosol generating procedures (which is most things in dentistry) and are referring these patients to the so called urgent treatment centers. They are also doing as little other treatment as possible as they are not being paid the additional fees to cover the increased costs of working. They may have 20% of their fees deducted for laboratory based work that is not being done, so they cannot really do any until they are told what the situation is and the NHS has not yet told them. Absolute shambolic situation.
So, if you need any dental work done, either see a private dentist or wait until the NHS has sorted itself out.
How does that work for me then? Because I'm nhs but I go to a hospital,they said I can have an appointment in 2wks but are they allowed to do aerosols? Agree it's a mess (esp for those of us in the middle of treatment) but id say a lot of people just can't afford to whisk themselves off to a private clinic+waiting prob isn't an option either.

I had to have 2 fillings done last week in England, but I’m with a private dentist and they had some new extra protective equipment. My daughter is with NHS dentist in the same area and can’t get a check up as yet

How does that work for me then? Because I'm nhs but I go to a hospital,they said I can have an appointment in 2wks but are they allowed to do aerosols? Agree it's a mess (esp for those of us in the middle of treatment) but id say a lot of people just can't afford to whisk themselves off to a private clinic+waiting prob isn't an option either.
Hi,
If your treatment is being done in hospital it should be unaffected. The restrictions are only of general dental practices, as far as I can make out.

I had to have 2 fillings done last week in England, but I’m with a private dentist and they had some new extra protective equipment. My daughter is with NHS dentist in the same area and can’t get a check up as yet
Hi katie7730,
This is exactly what I was talking about. It is all about NHS dentists being bound up by bureaucracy and not having the flexibility that private dentists have to be able to get back to helping their patients. As @tazey pointed out, it is not very helpful for the many patients who need treatment now but cannot afford to see a private dentist.

Very difficult situation for NHS dentists and patients - I have a private dentist and had an appointment for a lost crown last week. I noticed there was no water involved, no rinsing, no water spray with the suction and no water with the drill. There was another suction devise that the nurse was using. The doors were wide open to the garden and various other measures in place. I guess this situation is making us risk assess, because nothing is 100% 'safe' and weighing up the risks v benefits seems to be a daily thing right now.... I was nervous to go, but it felt well managed.

I was told they vacate the room for an hour after any aerosol generating treatments as the particles take time to settle and then the whole room is cleaned. I was charged an extra £7 to take account of PPE and cleaning.

At my last appointment in July, the dental pratice had ordered more PPE which was behind the dental reception desk. ready to be use. I may have to go private in October again, due to NHS. but once things are sorted out hopefully by the end of the year, I can go back to NHS.

Its difficult at the moment. In my area, the dentist will only see you on the nhs if you are in pain and its an emergency. Regular appointments not available for 6 to 9 months.
I was not in pain, but had a couple of bad teeth and sore gums that I knew had to be seen to, so I've had to pay extra to be seen privately at the same dental practice(which shows how the nhs are differently managed to private). Now being referred to hospital for surgical removal of a couple.

The two checkups I have since dentists have reopened I have had to go private. full hand scale, no water, PPE dentist and her assistant. I need to go back to have a small filling in the wisdom tooth, as it can be fixed having this on NHS, but know this will be different.

I hate my teeth as it, with this overcrowding problem in my mid 30s

Does anyone know if full treatments are available in england. Really need to sort my tooth out causing so much pain but I cant afford private

I had to pay private for checkups the last few times, but was able to have my crown done on the NHS, dentist and her assistant had ppe (and the rest of the staff who work at the practice)

Even though my dentist moving private, she is still some under NHS

Here in Scotland when you're in the surgery, it all seems as you were other than every other waiting room chair removed and folk wearing masks. Oh, hand sanitizer too. But that seems to be all that's remained changed. They do have to adhere to the 1 hour thing with spray treatments, but I've had 2 emergency apps over the last 4 weeks for rct's and they've done it no problem. Also had a crown fitted. I'm private, so no idea what the score is with the nhs. The 1st time i went into the dentist after they opened, there was a marked difference in things, but now not really. You had to wait outside until it was your turn to be seen, but now everyone is sat in the waiting room again.

Hi I’m in the uk does anyone one what treatments are still possible now our dentists have reopened during covid ? I’m thinking i need a tooth either root canalled or extracted thanks
Hi Louie1, I know that dentists are able to do fillings

Back