• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

COVID Masks and Confidence

  • Thread starter Thread starter thisisme
  • Start date Start date
T

thisisme

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2012
Messages
360
I’m from a state that requires face masks all the time in the public right now, and I love it. I feel so much more confident with my teeth covered, and I’m curious if any others feel that way. I definitely feel like I smile more and I’m less conscious of how I talk to show less of my teeth.

As more offices start to open, I hope I get the nerve to schedule an ortho consult. It’s a good time to get braces if nobody can see them! ?

How do my dental phobic friends who may not like their teeth feel about masks? Do you like wearing them? Are you indifferent? I kind hope we are required to wear them for a year! ??‍♀️
 
Thisisme

Actually.. wow. great point.. Ive been walking around without my bottom partial as it doesn't fit anymore after my reconstruction got started, not to mention my other missing teeth.. never thought of this upside to the masks but that is a great point. I don't like the covered feeling really , but. this is a positive about it.
 
I have been thinking about this as well. I am not super happy with the color of my front tooth implant, but the dentist doesn’t want to fix it until the gums heal and shape the way he wants them. Plus he is on vacation for three months. So I have been happy to not go out as much and have my mouth covered. Although I really don’t like wearing a mask because it makes me feel like I can’t breathe very well. I have homemade ones that I created and I have been experimenting with different styles and patterns, trying to come up with one that still covers but is easier to breathe in. I honestly don’t know how dentists and doctors wear them all day!
 
I am okay with wearing a mask on public transport I live in the United Kingdom, I may not feel happy sitting upstairs on the bus, as the driver can't see what is happening upstairs if someone kicks off.

I have oral worries but see my dentist regularly.
 
I haven't been out in nearly 4mths but I have got a fabric mask so if I need too then I will,also got some disposable ones which would be handy for medical appointments. I can see what you mean how it could make you feel more confident the only thing is I don't think it's good to get too used to them because hopefully it won't be necessary soon,I'd rather the virus be gone.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top