• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown Bite

J

JoeBob

Two weeks ago I had a crown placed on a premolar. I initially had tightness discomfort with the crown, but thankfully it now feels almost normal.

However, a new problem has arisen with my bite. When I bite down now, my bottom front teeth slightly touch the back of my upper front teeth. When I wake in the morning, my front teeth feel sore. I assume I am biting down or clenching my teeth when I sleep. I never had this problem of my front teeth touching before getting the crown.

Could the crown on the premolar be causing my top and bottom front teeth to touch now? I understand I could go back and ask the crown to be shaved down a bit to adjust the bite, but I am scared the dentist might attempt to do something to my front teeth, which I don't want him to do because they are in great condition and I never had any work done on them. Could anyone tell me if this is common or if it has an easy fix?

You could ask your dentist to not touch the front teeth, if it’s possible, if he needs to adjust your bite. However, keep in mind that he might tell you he needs to touch them.
It is somewhat common to need bite adjustments and it’s a very easy fix.

I agree with Geos, make sure you let your dentist know about your preference and anxiety to stay away from the front teeth and how you feel about this and to let you know what they are doing and explain any treatment before its done.

Two weeks ago I had a crown placed on a premolar. I initially had tightness discomfort with the crown, but thankfully it now feels almost normal.

However, a new problem has arisen with my bite. When I bite down now, my bottom front teeth slightly touch the back of my upper front teeth. When I wake in the morning, my front teeth feel sore. I assume I am biting down or clenching my teeth when I sleep. I never had this problem of my front teeth touching before getting the crown.

Could the crown on the premolar be causing my top and bottom front teeth to touch now? I understand I could go back and ask the crown to be shaved down a bit to adjust the bite, but I am scared the dentist might attempt to do something to my front teeth, which I don't want him to do because they are in great condition and I never had any work done on them. Could anyone tell me if this is common or if it has an easy fix?

Pre-crown, premolar most likely was higher than where it is now, which provided support and limited the front teeth from touching together. When the crown was placed, it was mostly likely placed out of occlusion or light occlusion, which is now causing the front teeth to touch more.

Another possibility is bite is not adjusted properly, causing grinding/clenching and thereby causing the front teeth being sore.

As an update, I went back to dentist and he did shave the crown down a bit to make it lower. He also suspects I have a bruised tooth ligament in my front tooth due to clenching my teeth at night after getting the crown. He said to wait a couple weeks to see if it feels better, otherwise he will make an impression of my mouth and fit me for a night guard.

I had this happen with my lateral incisor on top after getting a lower molar extracted. My front upper incisor had a root canal, which hadn't ever settled. I was convinced the tooth next to it, the lateral incisor was also infected, but it turns out it was just hitting my bottom canine and making it sore. Wearing an OTC nightguard helped a lot. I am getting a custom one made soon.

Back