• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown had multiple adjustments and still tender

B

Blondey209

Hey guys.. cant believe im still posting on here its been a horrible 6 months of issues but glad i have you guys..

I had a back molar crowned 3 weeks ago ( this tooth had a metal band on it for 2 months prior and havnt been able to eat on it for so long) since having the permanent placed i had to have the bite adjusted 3 time last time being yesterday , so i havnt been able to eat on it really as its been tender and had high points.

Im hoping im just being impatient .. the bite feels right now but it still feels tender to pressure (i cant bloody stop pressing it with my tongue to check it ) i have a mouth guard for the night clenching..but i also have developed clenching throughout the day from all this stress.

Will this just be a matter of letting it settle from all the adjusting? Im absolutely terrified of it needing a rct... but surely it wont right? There's no sensitivity to hot or cold and no intense pain.. but i still cant really eat on it....

Thanks for reading sigh im so over this all ...im a sad lump .

Hi Blondey209,
The processes of preparing a tooth and cementing a crown can be quite traumatic for the tooth. Most crowns settle within a day or so, but the occasional one and can weeks and weeks so do not give up hope, especially as you say, the discomfort is not severe.
If it had a metal band around it prior to crowning then I am guessing this tooth was treated because it had a crack in it. Cracked teeth are a pain to treat as you never know in advance whether they just need a crown or root canal treatment as well.
My best guess is that your tooth will very slowly improve. I am rarely wrong, ask anyone...
other than my wife.
Lincoln

Hi Blondey209,
The processes of preparing a tooth and cementing a crown can be quite traumatic for the tooth. Most crowns settle within a day or so, but the occasional one and can weeks and weeks so do not give up hope, especially as you say, the discomfort is not severe.
If it had a metal band around it prior to crowning then I am guessing this tooth was treated because it had a crack in it. Cracked teeth are a pain to treat as you never know in advance whether they just need a crown or root canal treatment as well.
My best guess is that your tooth will very slowly improve. I am rarely wrong, ask anyone...
other than my wife.
Lincoln
Haha aw thank you so much Lincoln i really appreciate your help and reply on this.

Yes you are right it was a crack syndromed tooth.. didnt show on xrays and couldn't been seen with eye so we tried everything to let it fully settle before crowing..

I seem to be always falling into that unlucky category of the other.... but its given me peace of mind and hope hearing you say it can just take a bit longer to settle . Ill keep my fingers crossed and try my best to stop pressing with tongue haha. Thanks again
Take care ?

Blondey209 may I ask if the crown on the cracked tooth settled, and how long it took? I am 3 weeks out from a crown on a cracked tooth. It does hurt to chew, and I've only started chewing on it the last 2 days. I have a follow up in 2 weeks.

Hey there no worries happy to reply. And my case is a little less straight forward as i havnt been able to wear my mouth guard at night as there has been to many changes in my mouth since getting it made and in having my wisdom teeth removed in surgery in a week . So ill be getting it re done.. soooo my crowned tooth is still not absolutley 100%i can eat on it but certain foods feel a but weird eating in it.. im hoping its just due to the clenching at night and once i have my mouth guard back it will completely settle. I think it can take a few months so definitely dont stress to much. If its still uncomfy to eat on after a month id just get the dentist to have a quick check for you mine needed to be adjusted a couple times to to balance the surface and pressure out. Sorry that was such a long reply Haha wishing you the best of luck

Back