• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crowns on implants vs regular crowns

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lexa
  • Start date Start date
Lexa

Lexa

Junior member
Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
17
Location
EU
I received 2 implants last week (for an upper left side premolar and molar). My regular dentist told me initially , before I even had the molars extracted, that the surgeon she recommended will do the extractions as well as the implant surgery, but she will do the crowns. From what I understand this is the traditional way.
That was around 2 months ago.

When I went in today to have the stiches removed from my implant surgery, the surgeon asked me to sign the offer for the crowns and told me he will do the crowns as well since my regular dentist doesn't want to do crowns over implants anymore because it's very "delicate work", like he put it. My regular dentist wasn't there and I will only have the chance to ask her why she has changed her mind in a few weeks, when I have my next appointment (as I don't want to do it over the phone).

Now ... of course I am wondering what has changed in the past 2 months and why doesn't my regular dentist want to do the crowns over implants.
Are regular crowns that different from crowns over implants? Does it take extra special skill for the those over implants?
Could it be that there is something wrong with my implants and she doesn't want to get involved in the process anymore? (yes, a little paranoia is setting in ... ).

Thanks for your input.
 
yes it is a different process and does require a bit of extra training and knowledge on the part of the 'regular' dentist. It could be that your 'regular' dentist plans to get involved in restoring implants- but isn't quite at the stage where they are ready to do it.
i've never restored an implant- but plan to in the future.
your implantologist may for any one of a number of reasons have decided that they want to restore them and may have told your dentist this.
basicall- a large number of reasons as to why this may have happend however the end result will be the same- and in some ways it may be preferable that the same person who placed the implant is restoring it.
hope this helps
mike
 
My gut feeling is that you are much better off with the implant surgeon doing the whole job - it isn't wise to split professional responsibility for any process - dental or otherwise.
 
Back
Top