• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crumbling wisdom tooth - how long can it wait?

S

scaredinmancs

Hello,

I'm in a right mess at the moment. Over the past 2 days, chunks of my upper left wisdom tooth have been literally crumbling out when I eat or brush my teeth and I can feel sharp edges where this has happened (the last piece seems to have been from the middle of the tooth and very close to the gumline). At the moment this is not hurting, and I know the tooth has been in bad condition for a very long time now.

I know I need to see a dentist regarding this but my problem is that I currently don't have a dentist (I'm in the UK) and I suffer from huge dental phobia. I know I need a LOT of work doing but I have been putting off visiting a dentist for years, even though I lie awake for hours every night worrying about my teeth (seriously). Writing on this forum in itself is a huge step for me - I've been too scared to even do this until now. I had a very bad experience when I was 11 with having teeth removed, which has resulted in a badly crooked smile and deeply affected confidence and happiness ever since (I'm now 30).

To make matters even worse, I'm going on holiday for 4 weeks in just 11 days' time. I really don't think I could handle visiting a dentist and having the tooth removed in that time period, I'm crying just as I write this alone! Would it be really stupid to wait until I get back from holiday (about 6 weeks) to deal with this? On the other hand, would I be able to go on holiday and fly so soon after having the tooth removed?

Sorry for rambling and sounding like such an idiot/wuss, but I really don't know what to do and am genuinely petrified of having to handle this for real in such an immediate timespace.

G

Hi there,

The chances are your tooth will hold for another 6 weeks. Obviously, I cannot be 100% sure without seeing it, but based on 20+ years of dentistry I think you should be fine. So go enjoy your holiday.

Now you have taken the first step by posting, resolve to build on it when you get back. Maybe post some more. Rome was not built in a day and your feelings have built up over many years. It may take many months or even years to overcome them. By taking small steps you can do it. Your have taken the first step … so be proud of your self.

Best of luck

Lincoln

Back