• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Day 3 after Surgical Wisdom Tooth Extraction

T

Toothless123

Hello,

So I had a surgical extraction of one of my bottom wisdom teeth on Monday. The gum was cut & bone was drilled, so I have quite a few stitches in my mouth. I'm feeling super lost and unsettled right now as on the day of recovery and the day after it really wasn't that bad and I was pleasantly surprised at how little pain I felt. But now from Day 2 to Day 3 the pain has gotten a little worse and I feel a throbbing/heartbeat like sensation in my tooth. It's worth noting that this sensation isn't where my hole is, it's in one of my bottom front teeth. It doesn't hurt but it is uncomfortable. I can't tell if the other pains & twitches I am feeling are from the stitches or the extraction site itself. I'm going to get the stitches out on Tuesday.

I feel like I'm going a bit mad as I have not been able to sleep for more than 4 hours without waking up. Just today I went to sleep at midnight and woke up again at 3am and haven't been able to go back to sleep. I'm not sure what's waking me up as it's not really pain.

My jaw feels a little tight & I cannot open my mouth fully due to the stitches in my mouth. So I haven't been able to brush the bottom left part of my mouth and I'm really anxious about that. My tongue has gone very white & my breath doesn't smell too good :( I'm doing gentle salt rinses 4-5 times a day and that's fine. I still can't really talk properly or have my mouth shut. I've had my mouth open with tongue out a little bit for most days as it's uncomfortable for me to close it.

My questions are:
1) Is it normal to feel pains still? And the throbbing heartbeat sensation? Whenever I've searched online it just starts talking about dry socket which makes me panic as I really don't think I have it (from my understanding it's an excruciating pain which I don't have)
2) will my teeth be okay even though i cannot brush some of them? I don't know when I'm going to be able to open my mouth enough to reach all of them
Thanks in advance and sorry for the incoherent rant, I felt so proud of myself getting this extraction done but now I'm starting to become quite anxious about the aftercare :(

Hi Toothless123,

well done on getting the extraction done, you have all reasons to be proud.

Generally speaking, for many people the pain gets worse on day three and some can struggle with opening the mouth for a few days. It may help to cool the site gently. If brushing doesn't work well on that one side then it is as it is. I doubt anything bad will happen to those teeth in the few days

I don't know about the throbbing pain, but was wondering whether calling the practice may be a good idea just to get it checked. You don't have to deal with insecurities and fears after the extraction alone, dentists are there for post check-ups too.

Sending hugs, wishing you a speedy recovery and adding a link about healing after tooth removal:

I also had a lower wisdom tooth extraction on Monday! Mine came out quickly and with no cutting, drilling or stitches and was not impacted. I felt pretty much no pain at all on the first two days until last night when it felt more uncomfortable and it feels uncomfortable today too. On top of that I still have an unpleasant taste in my mouth which has not gone away. I have read that the discomfort and pain peaks on day three. I also woke up often last night but then the space where the tooth was just feels weird and I just don’t feel ‘right’ although I’m not really in any pain.

Sounds like your extraction was a bit more intense than mine but your experience has been similar to mine.

I also had a lower wisdom tooth extraction on Monday! Mine came out quickly and with no cutting, drilling or stitches and was not impacted. I felt pretty much no pain at all on the first two days until last night when it felt more uncomfortable and it feels uncomfortable today too. On top of that I still have an unpleasant taste in my mouth which has not gone away. I have read that the discomfort and pain peaks on day three. I also woke up often last night but then the space where the tooth was just feels weird and I just don’t feel ‘right’ although I’m not really in any pain.

Sounds like your extraction was a bit more intense than mine but your experience has been similar to mine.
Thank you that's really reassuring ❤️! Glad to know that even with the less complex extractions there are similar sensations :)

Hi Toothless123,

well done on getting the extraction done, you have all reasons to be proud.

Generally speaking, for many people the pain gets worse on day three and some can struggle with opening the mouth for a few days. It may help to cool the site gently. If brushing doesn't work well on that one side then it is as it is. I doubt anything bad will happen to those teeth in the few days

I don't know about the throbbing pain, but was wondering whether calling the practice may be a good idea just to get it checked. You don't have to deal with insecurities and fears after the extraction alone, dentists are there for post check-ups too.

Sending hugs, wishing you a speedy recovery and adding a link about healing after tooth removal:

Thank you for the advice! I called my dentist and she said that I had a complicated extraction so it's to be expected that I will feel pains and other sensations for a while, and that my jaw won't open much. And also that it might be the stitches that are causing me some discomfort. So I feel a lot more reassured now :)

Back