• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dead bone?

K

Ktooth

If you’ve read my previous posts, you’ll know my sob story with tooth number 18. If not, the tldr is that I had a filling that never settled, two failed root canals, an extraction and two failed implants. Following the most recent implant removal, pain in the socket never went away. I went to the surgeon today and he opened the area and found what he described as “dead bone” right behind where the implant was. He scraped it out, sent a sample for a biopsy and used blood from my arm to inject a clot into the socket. He said he’s optimistic this will help, but has never seen anything quite like this (hence the biopsy to be safe). I’m REALLY freaked out about it and wondering if any dentists here have seen this in patients? He said it was a very, very small area (1-2cm) that was affected fwiw.

Yes, but there has been some clues in the previous medical history that healing would be a problem. Since I have no idea about yours I can't really say what's going on... but the failed implant might be a clue though, they're technically very exacting to place and sometimes even with perfect technique the bone can get slightly over heated and (guess what?) die back.

Yes, but there has been some clues in the previous medical history that healing would be a problem. Since I have no idea about yours I can't really say what's going on... but the failed implant might be a clue though, they're technically very exacting to place and sometimes even with perfect technique the bone can get slightly over heated and (guess what?) die back.
Thanks Gordon. I received biopsy results and am so confused. Any idea what these could mean? Omfs wants to take a wait & see approach for 4 more weeks before exploring other avenues. 1D817D3D-6A3F-4D10-BC9E-083DE348571B.jpeg

It means that it's dead bone. Doesn't really contribute to an explanation as to why though, so it's still a bit of a mystery.

Back