R
RaeRae
Junior member
- Joined
- Jun 7, 2013
- Messages
- 3
After decades of suffering sheer terror at the dentist office, and bad teeth requiring many lengthy procedures over the years, I have reached the point of utter mental disability when it comes to dentists.
Today I was scheduled to go in for 7 hours worth of fillings, root canal, crown, and bridge. They gave me diazepam and triazolam - 1 pill each to take last night before bed and this morning before I go in.
It took me 4 hours to work up the courage to take the diazepam (valium). I took it and within 5 minutes I was having a full out panic attack. Shaking, sweating, agitated, sick, dizzy, legs went numb, the whole deal. I was up all night suffering with absolute terror. Needless to say the valium did nothing except throw me right over the edge. You'd think I was going in to have my arms and legs removed today, good grief!
There was no way in bloody h*ll I was going to take that other sedation pill and then go in for the procedure so I cancelled the whole thing. I was crying and freaking out, I swear I've never had a panic attack so bad in my life. I felt like a prey animal being chased down by a mountain lion. Seriously! ugh
So here I sit. Horrible teeth that need to be done and no way to do it. I guess I will let the teeth rot right out of my head because I can't even handle the sedation part of sedation dentistry. This guys radio ads are a bunch of BS! "Experience dentistry as it's meant to be - with no anxiety!" Haaaaa! The freaking anti anxiety medication threw me right over the edge.
The only other thing I know to do is go to my medical doctor and see if he has any suggestions.
Right now I'm feeling like I would literally rather die than deal with dentistry work for the rest of my life.
Today I was scheduled to go in for 7 hours worth of fillings, root canal, crown, and bridge. They gave me diazepam and triazolam - 1 pill each to take last night before bed and this morning before I go in.
It took me 4 hours to work up the courage to take the diazepam (valium). I took it and within 5 minutes I was having a full out panic attack. Shaking, sweating, agitated, sick, dizzy, legs went numb, the whole deal. I was up all night suffering with absolute terror. Needless to say the valium did nothing except throw me right over the edge. You'd think I was going in to have my arms and legs removed today, good grief!
There was no way in bloody h*ll I was going to take that other sedation pill and then go in for the procedure so I cancelled the whole thing. I was crying and freaking out, I swear I've never had a panic attack so bad in my life. I felt like a prey animal being chased down by a mountain lion. Seriously! ugh
So here I sit. Horrible teeth that need to be done and no way to do it. I guess I will let the teeth rot right out of my head because I can't even handle the sedation part of sedation dentistry. This guys radio ads are a bunch of BS! "Experience dentistry as it's meant to be - with no anxiety!" Haaaaa! The freaking anti anxiety medication threw me right over the edge.
The only other thing I know to do is go to my medical doctor and see if he has any suggestions.
Right now I'm feeling like I would literally rather die than deal with dentistry work for the rest of my life.




and thinking 'this is a good drug, it's gonna chill me out a bit'. You suffered a paradoxical reaction due to anxiety. Diazepam takes longer than 5mins to work! I wouldn't disregard it completely, could possibly learn/benefit from it. A good example of how much anxiety can really mess you up. And remember, panic attacks are not dangerous at all