• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

deep cleaning with numbing shots and nitrous.............. terrified!

M

morgandrew

I feel silly being so scared of this appt like i am. I haven't been to the dentist in like 7 years, Because of that i have receding gums and now obviously i need a deep cleaning, which is being broken into 2 sessions. Unfortunately i am unable to afford full sedation work, it was 2,000 out of pocket. So they opted to do nitrous and obviously some good old fashioned Novocaine. Im so worried that this isnt enough, maybe it is and im freaking out for no reason.... I dont mind feeling a little here and there but by no means do i want to be in an extreme amount of pain in the chair...... anyone have experience with this? any words of wisdom would help

If you have local anesthetic, you shouldn't feel anything. I haven't had a deep cleaning, but I've read many accounts on here of people who have.

Just yesterday I had deepish cleaning of my upper right side, with shots and no nitrous during the cleaning (nitrous was used for the shots). I did pretty good! If you're numbed up, you won't feel any pain. Before you go in for cleaning, but after shots, ask that the dentist tests to see if you are numb. If you pass with flying colors, then you'll be good. Also, with the nitrous oxide, which I have had about 6 times, you're not going to care whats going on. Seriously. Nitrous oxide is so lovely. Read the section about it on this website. Good luck!