• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Anxiety - New to Forum, Trying to get help

L

leemarie86

Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum - I am 31 and have not had a routine cleaning in 8-10 years.... due to being so terrified of the dentist and avoiding it... I had a bad experience as a child and have grown a fear of the dentist because of it. I am currently having bad jaw pain under my ear - not sure if it is medical or dental related, but I know either way I need to get to the dentist.

Where do I start?

I hope I can find a patient doctor... just the thought of going to the dentist again brings tears to my eyes and a large fear over me... What are some of the best tips to overcome dental fear? I know how important it is to maintain good oral health, but I am so scared that the procedures will hurt or I won't be able to stay in the chair for that long...

Not too long ago I was in that exact same place. Do your research about local dentists, talk to your friends and family and see who they are going to. I was very blessed to find a dentist who understands my fears & helps me to get things done. Really the first appointment they will just do X-rays and talk to you about what's needed. I was all worked up for that for nothing. My dentist was able to help me get things in order little by little. I still have a little to go. I had never used nitrous before this dentist. She gives low doses adjusted as we go with oxygen. I think that really has helped to take the edge off. If you have the right dentist the procedures themselves don't hurt. I find the injection my biggest hurdle actually. Don't be too hard on yourself, you have to start somewhere. I wish you tons of luck. Let us know your progress! You got this.

The right dentist makes a huge difference! Be honest, tell them of your fears. That way they can tailor their approach to suit you. You can arrange a signal during the appointment such as raising a hand for if you need to take a little break and sip some water, if you're feeling overwhelmed and panicky. You can ask the dentist to go slow and be gentle with you.

Dental phobia is no joke and it's not uncommon either. Many dentists are trained in treating phobic and anxious patients. :)

Not too long ago I was in that exact same place. Do your research about local dentists, talk to your friends and family and see who they are going to. I was very blessed to find a dentist who understands my fears & helps me to get things done. Really the first appointment they will just do X-rays and talk to you about what's needed. I was all worked up for that for nothing. My dentist was able to help me get things in order little by little. I still have a little to go. I had never used nitrous before this dentist. She gives low doses adjusted as we go with oxygen. I think that really has helped to take the edge off. If you have the right dentist the procedures themselves don't hurt. I find the injection my biggest hurdle actually. Don't be too hard on yourself, you have to start somewhere. I wish you tons of luck. Let us know your progress! You got this.

Thank you!!! I think the needles are half the issue - I got blood work this morning and I was sobbing like a toddler lol..... thanks for the encouraging words!

I'm AWFUL with needles typically too! thankfully... I found someone who is really good and I barely ever feel the pinch.. and... the assistant understands my exact fears about swallowing the topical and makes sure I don't. she's a pro too.. so... when you put your fears out there if you have someone good and caring, no matter what they are, they will listen and try to reassure you and help you .. I hope you find someone great, patient and very compassionate! the needs are a huge obstacle that can be overcome with the right help

Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum - I am 31 and have not had a routine cleaning in 8-10 years.... due to being so terrified of the dentist and avoiding it... I had a bad experience as a child and have grown a fear of the dentist because of it. I am currently having bad jaw pain under my ear - not sure if it is medical or dental related, but I know either way I need to get to the dentist.

Where do I start?

I hope I can find a patient doctor... just the thought of going to the dentist again brings tears to my eyes and a large fear over me... What are some of the best tips to overcome dental fear? I know how important it is to maintain good oral health, but I am so scared that the procedures will hurt or I won't be able to stay in the chair for that long...

You are really strong like a lot of the other people I am reading on here. My biggest advice is find a dentist that you feel comfortable with thats good and they really will take care of your teeth. They will look at your teeth up close and judge it, which is very hard to deal with I know and understand. But trust me they will find a source and maybe a possible solution to your pain. They also might put you on a dental treatment plan if you find the right doctor. Just find a dentist you know you feel safe with and wont judge you, some dentist just want to help people get better teeth and be happy. I hope the best happens to you and you can get the pain fixed.

Back