• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental bridges

  • Thread starter Thread starter Net80
  • Start date Start date
N

Net80

Junior member
Joined
Mar 14, 2025
Messages
10
Location
Europe
I'm looking for some support!

I had 6 missing teeth already(4 gaps) and always wanted to cover the gap. I went to the dentist, they were recommended me by 1 of my relatives.
The dentist did 2 treatment plans. 1 for implant, 1 for traditional bridge. I trusted him to give the best option possible. He didn't explain too much, I didn't ask too many questions.

For some reason, I hadn't done my homework and worried from surgery, bone graft and sinus lift, I went for bridges because it looked simple. I didn't know really, what is involved in it. The dentist never asked me, am I 100% sure and do you know that...

At the moment, I've a full set of teeth, gaps covered with 4 traditional bridge, 2 upper, 2 lower. I've awfully regretted the decision, as I had no idea, what this would bring. They feel ok, but I'm worse for biting as was before, they are mostly on molars, I don't trust them. I used to like crunchy fruits and veg before, I can't do it now. And the extra mouth care and the amount of food getting stuck under the 4 bridges is too much.

8 additional teeth were harmed in the making, they were in good condition before, not nice looking but fully functional.
I have to get on my life but I don't feel ok.

What could I do in this case? I know, very slight chance left, it's breaking my heart.
 
Hi, I'm so so sorry you had to go through this, it really is totally unacceptable to not explain the disadvantages of a treatment, especially if it is as invasive as this one 😥. There is really no excuse for it. You gave your location as "Europe", so I'm not sure what action you can take in your particular country (in the UK, there's the Dental Complaints Service for private patients, but I wouldn't know about other countries). It might be worth investigating, in case you want to get compensation towards future expenses.

It probably would be an idea to get some professional support (i.e. a psychologist or counsellor) with the emotional and mental aspects of what has happened to you. They might also be able to help you figure out if there is anything you can do to get justice in practical terms.

When you said "very slight chance left", what exactly did you mean?
 
Thank for your reply!

I mean, this is not going be rectified easily. Bridges are going to fail in the future. I don't know when though. The thing worries me that I don't know what is this going to develop into. I feel insecure about my teeth. It's really a hopeless situation, I don't know what to say.
No need for professional support, I can get through this. I don't see how but I will make it.
 
I'm scared of losing all of my teeth at this stage.
I eat less, brush and floss more and it doesn't seem to work. My mind is occupied with this all day long.
I've noticed, the upper left at the back is sensitive to hot/cold, could this mean that my abutment is compromised?
I should have left as it is, not going to the dentist, the plan should have been made more carefully, I believe, I'm in worst situation compared to where I had been before. I have had problems with my teeth, but with this work more of it was introduced.
Why wasn't the conservation the first goal? Not destruction.

Here are my fronts:
 
Last edited:
I cannot speak for bridges to that extent as I only had one. My bridge was anchored on a molar and had a false tooth in front to fill the gap.

This wasn't ok. I can sympathise with you where bite, bite force and distrust are concerned. I felt this as well with the bridge I had. The way it felt when I chewed on it was awful. Like a seesaw that was glued down at one end, it was... Unpleasant. The thought of 'destined to fail' crossed my mind on many occasions. Until I just got used to it.

It lasted for 12 years. But I didn't chew much hard foods on that side of my mouth in order to nurse it into lasting longer. In the end, it became loose and I ended up breaking the anchor tooth off at the gum line.

How does your bite feel? Does it feel normal or too high/low? You can do a lot to make it feel better. More tolerable. Work with your dentist, if their work isn't satisfactory - they can adjust things. You have to let them know how you're feeling, though.
 
Thank you!
Yours must have been a cantilever one, anchored to one side.
Bite feels ok, bit of knocking one side, when opening and closing. I can eat with them. The biggest problem is I have no escape route left to chew on. Every one of them attached to a molar unfortunately.
This won't be better, I can't trust them, the chew feels unnatural to me and one reacts to temperature already.
I don't know how long they will last but they are annoying. I used to chew ok, even with 6 teeth missing, now everything is ruined.
 
My issue is still ongoing.
My bite is ok now, but the lower bridge must go. I can't get used to them, bulky and constant pressure, no relief.
I'm going back to the dentist to cut them out. I don't want to see that dentist again.
Life is awful, sometimes I think, how will I get on?
My partner is expecting after years of struggle. Family needs me, how will I manage it with this mess?
I still think this treatment has pushed me into worse position to where I had been. The whole lot should have been left alone until most teeth lost, making me happy eating, but not struggling.
 
@Net80 Perhaps a partial denture may be a better option for you. It'll be removable at least, should it become uncomfortable...
 
You may want to research prosthodontists in your area. These are dentists with special training in creating and fitting prostheses like crowns, bridges, dentures, and dental implants. You'll likely get a much better result. Hang on in there 🤗

P.S. we've got some tips for researching/finding dentists on these pages:


 
Thank you, both!
Yes, partial denture should have been a better option for the lower arches. I was missing 1-1 tooth on each side, if even nothing done, would have been ok.
I have no idea, how sectioning off is going to work on the bridge. I was told, it's possible and I can keep the crowns. And how long it will last. I live in a different country, the dentist is in my 1st home country, 3 hrs travel each way though.

I feel scr3w3d. 6 missing teeth, 8 more bridge crowns added. When I could have used 4 top implants and still have my other 24 untouched ones.

I know, I can't stop venting. But why an earth I wasn't explained what the crown or bridge is? Yes, I'm responsible for my teeth, I've brushed and seen dentist few times, but why I had not been given any stark warning, that this could turn into something serious later?

I was so clueless thinking that 4 bridges is a good solution to my problem and the dentist silently assisted to this. The worst is, no future predictions: how long it will last, what it will need, cost, etc.

I had 24 teeth, 4 filled but the other 20 were ok. I don't know, where I stand... But I need teeth to live!
 
Still going. Going to see the dentist and they will section off the bridge, or not. Not sure. My mouth is messed up forever now, the 8 crowns are giving me a fright everyday. I fear for my future... Traumatic.
 
@Net80 I understand your frustration. The bridges and crowns will last for... As long as they last. Unfortunately, I don't believe that there is any way to accurately estimate their lifespan. In my case (I think I mentioned already), my bridge lasted around 11 or 12 years.

In a worst case scenario you would lose some teeth. But the majority of people do lose teeth as they age. I really effed things up with my teeth.

Dentures aren't so bad.
 
@Net80 I understand your frustration. The bridges and crowns will last for... As long as they last. Unfortunately, I don't believe that there is any way to accurately estimate their lifespan. In my case (I think I mentioned already), my bridge lasted around 11 or 12 years.

In a worst case scenario you would lose some teeth. But the majority of people do lose teeth as they age. I really effed things up with my teeth.

Dentures aren't so bad.
This is why I'm sh1tting my pants. Nothing certain in my case, I should have left it and done nothing!
I have 4 goddamn bridges, with 8 teeth to lose, to much too stomach.
Yes, the majority loses them, but not as many as I did
If they last as long as yours, it'll still 10 years until retirement and I'll have a teenager beside me. So I really don't know, what to do with life. I'm not enjoying it now, I'm afraid it'll wreck me soon enough.
 
I sympathise, I had a lower right 3 canine damaged by an incompetent dentist years ago and was told a bridge was the best option. After looking it up online, I realised it would have meant damaging the two healthy teeth next to the canine for the bridge ultimately resulting in 3 damaged teeth not 1. It's insanity to me so opted for bonding on the one tooth which has held firm( 18 years and counting).

I'm of the firm belief my teeth would have been better had I never set foot in a dentists at all - there would have been issues but the incompetence of dentists has been greater than naturally occurring issues for me. I don't understand how any ethical practice can sanction damaging healthy teeth to replace a gap which years down the road are likely to mean 3 missing teeth instead of 1.
 
2 lower bridges sectioned off into crowns. I have 4 useless crowns.
The anxiety is eating me alive. Gum recession, 1 wisdom molar is mobile. I'm ok eating these days but the future is uncertain. I'd like to travel back in time. The whole thing is so hopeless.
I'm not sure how have I got here... LIfe sucks.
 
I wrote a lengthy reply. But I realise that is not what you need. Let's talk. Private message me.
 
You should have left the mesage.
 
Back
Top