On July 17, 2014 I went under general iv sedation to have 25 teeth/roots extracted, aveoplasty and 8 upper and 6 lower implants put in. I, like you was petrified.
I cried when I arrived. It was the fear of the unknown. My surgery lasted 5 hours. I had immediate implants screwed in.
I do not like to take pain killers either but the first 2 days, I had to. By the 3rd day my daughter took me to the nail salon to have my 2 nails redone since I had to leave them without polish for the pulse ox meter.
This is a long process and still have the temps, BUT, this Friday March 6th, I get my permanents! Almost 8 months later and they are incredibly gorgeous!
I think it is completely normal to have a high level of fear. I could not live with the horrible teeth I had. The constant pain, infections, etc. My general health is so much better now not to mention my confidence has soared.
Your new teeth will take some getting used to and a soft diet is required for success. It's not so bad. Friday night will be my first steak in over 8 months. I'm not sure I'm even going to like it! LOL!
So here I am at the end of my journey and not regretting a thing. What I was so scared out of my mind about has turned into one of the best decisions I ever made. I have slight nerve damage from one of the zigomatic implants that is controlled by (of all things) Botox. An added benefit is NO wrinkles!
It is easy for people to tell you to relax. I know you won't, I didn't. I did some soul searching before the surgery through meditation and came to the conclusion had no other option. I am very happy now.
I know what you are going through and you may not have much pain. If you do, the meds are there to help and get you through the first couple of days.
I wish you much success.