• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental phobia after Hyperacusis ( sensetive hearing)

R

RedStang

Hi I am a new member. I had Bells Palsy last year and remained with sensitive hearing in both ears. This has made me terrified of going to the dentist because I don't want my hearing to get worse. Does anyone have any advise or had a similar situation. Thank you

I had a read of some articles and forums, and it sounds like dental work is a common concern for people with hyperacusis.

The best thing to do is contact dentists and try to find one willing to accommodate you. I don't know exactly how bad your sensitivity is, but for drill work, I read about dentists doing 5 seconds of drilling and 10 seconds break and so on. Also favouring the higher pitched drill, which is more of a whine, rather than the lower pitched one, which is much louder and more vibrating.

The first step is to get an examination to see if you need any work. You might get lucky and not need any treatment that would involve the noisier tools. And if you're not so lucky, you can discuss your options with the dentist. At the very least, it's important to find out how your oral health is, because once you're on top of it, you can better prevent future dental work.

Remember that you don't have to agree to any procedures if you think it will be too much for you to handle with your condition. :)