• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Stress,

  • Thread starter Thread starter wezst
  • Start date Start date
W

wezst

Junior member
Joined
Feb 5, 2019
Messages
9
Location
UK
just found this site as been worrying all day about going to the dentist, as a child ive had so much bad times going to the dentist that it has made be like this,

i had a temp filling in 2002 on my front tooth and it was only meant to last a month, but it last 17 years as i just cant get myself to see Dentist then over the weekend a ladder hit me in the face and has now knocked it out,

im so stuck as i booked appointment for tomorrow but im having panic attacks just thinking about it, cant sleep, or eat, since it happens

ive spent the day looking on the internet to see what they will do which has now made me worse, i just dont know if i can go tomorrow,
 
I also had terrible experiences at the dentist as a child and teenager, and luckily had pretty good teeth until this past year. I am amazed at how much dentistry has changed even in 10 years. When I was a kid, the dentist didn't use a topical anesthetic before shots, and now it is a common practice, so numbing doesn't hurt like it did before.

I recently had a root canal on my front tooth, that had an abscess due to a childhood injury. The root canal was completely painless.

I don't know your situation, but if you are just getting a filling replaced, it should be a quick and easy procedure, completely painless.
 
I am confident in telling you that going to get this fixed as quickly as you've done is the number one thing guaranteed to decrease your worry once you are back home.

Being able to solve a problem, which again I am certain they will, might help your confidence if you need to go again.

Like MountainMama says. Things have progressed in dentistry. I had a big chunk of tooth fall off recently, in a front tooth. Turned out it was an old filling. I had it fixed there and then and hardly knew the time had past and I was done.

Hoping you have a good experience.
 
Thank you so much for the replies, just really stressing over this as tooth doesn’t look to good under it so don’t know what they will do, but was good to hear your comments
 
Sorry about the anxiety you're going through. Whatever they do, you'll feel better having gone. They'll have helped you and you'll have accomplished something great by going.

I have to wait for a few weeks to get a fair amount of work done, and while I'm a bit nervous about it, I'm nowhere near as nervous as I was before the first appointment. In fact, I was much more nervous about just making that appointment. After going, it was a weird feeling of "That was it? Avoiding for my entire adult life and it's done, just like that?" The fear of the unknown was a big deal. Once that's taken away, I feel like I can just trust them to do their job.

I'm glad you found this site. If you're tempted to keep looking on the Internet, make sure it's here, especially the Common Fears and What Can Help sections, as well as the Success Stories, and not horror stories on Google. I even avoid some of the posts here if it looks like a bad experience of something I've yet to have done. I don't want to get paranoid and I'm sure the procedures go right more often than they go wrong so I'd rather read them for now.

I hope you get some sleep and get through it OK tomorrow. Just think, this time tomorrow it will be over and you'll be so relieved!
 
Hi Wezst :welcome:,

sorry to read about your situation, particularly that you are struggling with panic attacks now (and about the accident as well, hope you have no further injuries than the tooth). You have been very brave for making an appointment!

So what will they do about the tooth? First of all, they won't do anything on their own as it is your tooth and therefore you are the boss. Also, before even looking at the tooth they will have a chat with you about what and how happened and if you have any pain. They might also want to know how many years ago the tooth got treated and hopefully they will also talk to you about what worries you about having a treatment. I can onlyy encourage you to let them know how scared you are. You might call them or send them an email so that they can make sure to look after you well.

Obviously you would like to know what the tooth needs and how to fix it so after your chat, if you agree, they will first have a look at it with a mirror. If just looking at it is not enough to know what the tooth needs, they may suggest to do x-rays and maybe tap on the tooth or put something cold on it for a second. After that they can tell you what the tooth needs and how it gets done. You can ask questions, voice your fears and decide whether you feel up to let them fix the tooth or not. If you do, they might offer you to fix it right away or ask you whether you would like to come back on another day for the actual treatment.

It might be a good idea to think of what exactly it is that scares you and whether there is anything that would make the visit easier for you. Your dental team will be happy to have this information as they can help you better. Bringing someone with you as support is a good idea as well.

All the best wishes, hope all goes well tomorrow and again, remember that YOU decide what will get done and what won't.
 
well i would like to thank all people that made going to today so much easier for me,

i had to have a root filling which they told me needed 3 trips to do, but as they had a cancellation after me did both stages so now im just ready for my first crown, i have to say my fears of the dentist have gone a little, esp as the technology has changed so much since i last had any work done,

i always remember the drill be much louder but have to say i was very surprised.

but i think what helped the most was the dentist her self, took time to explain everything and gave me choices. plus my way of looking at it was i was there so might as well get it done,

Im back there in 2 weeks for the crown and then to start the next work.

thanks for this site for helping me,
 
Well done! You've overtaken me now, I'll be looking at your experience for reassurance when I get started!
 
Weszt,

Yes! Congrats for making it through and it seems like they really took care of you well giving you choices and explaining everything is just huge. ! Glad it went much better than expected and now you have some positive momentum to build off of for the next time ! This is awesome!
 
have to this site really helped as i nearly didnt go, got my self in a right state, but i think the hardest part is getting through the door to the dentist as once your there, you might as well have it done,

for me it will change my life as i haven't smiled for over 17 years as was always too embarrassed,
 
Well done! You've overtaken me now, I'll be looking at your experience for reassurance when I get started!
if im really honest the experience was so much easier then what my head thought it would be, you just need to find a dentist who understands how you feel,
 
if im really honest the experience was so much easier then what my head thought it would be, you just need to find a dentist who understands how you feel,
I did find one who I think I'm happy with. I need 3 root canals, deep cleaning, etc, but I can't get it till they get nhs approval, so I've been waiting for almost two months. I'm just eager to get it over with now. But however long and however many appointments it takes, I really think the worst is over by having gone to the initial appointment. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking!

Your experience does encourage me though. Keep us updated!
 
This is really great news, Wezst, glad to read this. Very well done! Having a nice dentist really is the main ingredient when it comes to dealing with dental fear.

Well done again and keep us posted:)
 

Similar threads

M
Replies
1
Views
581
NervousUSA
NervousUSA
W
Replies
2
Views
137
AnonG
A
F
Replies
3
Views
187
letsconnect
letsconnect
Back
Top