• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dentist appointment in few hours

  • Thread starter Thread starter rosy
  • Start date Start date
R

rosy

Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
80
I really need some encouragement now. I have an appointment in few hours an I am terrified. I feel like backing out because I am so scared. My IBS is kicking in big time and my heart is racing. I need to go,but I rather not. [smiley=hiding.gif]
 
Hang in there Rosy.You've come too far to back out now.Soon you'll be posting a message saying that the anticipation was worse than the visit!!.I know because I have be in "the chair in exactly 2 days and it's killing me [smiley=frightened.gif]GOOD LUCK :P
 
Just think Rosy, in no time at all it will be all over and you'll be able to write up a success story. Best of luck, just bear in mind, we're all with you - in spirit if not sitting in the actual chair with you. [smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
Hi Rosy, are you going in just for a chat today? If so, it will be a great opportunity to figure out, together with your dentist, what sorts of things would make any treatment more comfortable for you :). If you think it might help, make a list of all the things you'd like to address - that way, you won't forget anything important with all the excitement. If you've already had a chat with him (I'm not sure from your previous posts), and you have any concerns that didn't get addressed last time round, be sure to ask for reassurances about the things you are worried about, and make sure that you have agreed a stop signal in case you feel uncomfortable or need a break.

Best of luck [smiley=grouphug.gif]!!
 
I am going in for him to take a look a four teeth and to talk about what needs to be done to fix them. I do not want x-rays done because I have a hard time doing them and I just don't want to have any done. How do I tell him no without him pushing x-rays on me. I also have a few teeth that have black stuff at the gumline and I am scared about what he will say that is and what needs to be done about it. I have had some bad things happen to me at the dentist office and I can't handle any more.
 
X-rays can be necessary to give the dentist the information s/he needs before doing anything. But there may be ways of making x-rays more comfortable. For example, if your dentist has this equipment in child sizes (if he treats kids), they could be used instead. Best thing would be to discuss the problems you have with x-rays and together, come up with a solution. The black stuff at the gumline sounds like it might be staining which would come off during a regular cleaning :). Did the bad things you mentioned happen at this dentist or another office? It is so important that you can build a trusting relationship with your dentist.
 
I think it may be tartar at the gumline or decay. It kind of feels crusty and it has pushed my gumline back a little. I am not going to do x-rays and I feel he should go along with my wishes. He can see how it has decayed when they are fixed. The experiences that I have had have been at other dentist offices,but I do not want to bad mouth another dentist to my dentist.
 
Sometimes it can be hard to determine what the best thing to do would be without having any x-rays. There are different kinds of x-rays though and depending on why you don't want them there might be alternative types which would fit your needs. Saying that you've had bad experiences with such-and-such things wouldn't be the same as bad mouthing another dentist, unless you actually named the dentist/s :).
 
Hi again Rosy :),
I realize x rays are a bit uncomfortable BUT if you think of it this way you might be more willing to accept them.I already knowhow much you "LOVE" going to the dentist.Same as me and most of us here.An x ray though not extremely pleasant will be able to help the dentist see things that could be taken care of before they become too serious.Even though it seems like a damned if I do damned if I don't situation it is the lesser of 2 evils.It could mean less work in the future and possibly saving a tooth or 2 by showing problems early enough to be taken care of.Believe it or not todays x rays aren't as bad as they used to be.Used to have to bite down on sharp pieces of cardboard resembling the old camera slides.Please consider the x rays to help with a good treatment plan.Good luck :P
 
Hi,

I went to the dentist for him to take a look and he checked my whole mouth and then made me do x-rays which was tough,but he finally got them. Now the bad news is that he said that I have 16 cavities. I can't believe I have that many. Holy Cow! It is not like don't I take care of my teeth. I do everything I can to take care of my teeth,but I still get cavities. I just can't figure it out as to why I keep getting cavities. He wants to blame it on sugar,but I do not eat a lot of sweets so I think he is wrong on that. It is the bacteria in the mouth that causes cavities. I must have the bad kind. How do I get rid of bad bacteria and exchange it for the good kind is the question.
 
Well Rosy I guess we must have kissed somewhere along the way cuz I've got 17 to be taken care of.NOT looking forward to it but not going really isn't an option.I've got 3 appt's set up so far.Not sure how long the whole thing will take.Seems like when I was a kid just 1 cav. took forever.Will let everyone know Wed.all about it [smiley=confused.gif]
 
Well done for getting the x-rays done [smiley=jumping.gif]!! It sounds like this was a major fear of yours and you made it :).

rosy said:
I just can't figure it out as to why I keep getting cavities. He wants to blame it on sugar,but I do not eat a lot of sweets so I think he is wrong on that.

You don't find sugars in sweets only - fruit juices, soft drinks/sodas, fruit, cereals, things like mint drops and so forth all contain sugars. The worst things are those that are kept in your mouth over a long period of time, like boiled sweets or sipping sodas.

It's not the amount of sugars you consume that matter, but rather the frequency with which you consume them.

The trick is not to cut out these foods, but to make sure that you allow between 3.5 and 4 hours in between eating/drinking them to allow your teeth to remineralize.

Sometimes people consume such "hidden" sugars without even realizing it (for example, they might think they're sucking on a sugar-free mint when it does contain sugar). There are many things you can do if you are prone to decay. To reduce the amount of times you consume sugars to 3 or 4 times a day, you can do simple things such as consuming a candy bar as a dessert after a main meal rather than having it as a separate snack, or eating fruit as part of your breakfast and/or dinner rather than snacking on them throughout the day.

You've done so well - congratulations [smiley=party.gif]!!
 
I totally agree about where you find sugar at. It is impossible to avoid sugar,because it is put in just about everything you buy. It is not realistic to think that you can avoid eating sugar. In order to do that you would have to stop eating. Anyway sugar in not what really causes cavities. It may help in contributing to cavities,but it not the cause.

I do not really drink fruit juices or eat much fruit or any if at all. I think the big thing that may have contributed to me getting cavities is drinking colas. I just recently in the past 6 to 8 months have been able to completely stop drinking them and have replaced it with tea and water. Another thing that may have contributed to my cavities is stress. I have been under a lot stress the past few years and I think stress depletes your body of vitamins,which in turn would make your body low in calcium and other vitamins that are needed for good teeth and bones.
 
You are absolutely right that sugar is not what really causes cavities. It's the bacteria which produce acid that softens and destroys the hard tissues of the tooth that fuel the process. But in order to produce these acids, the bacteria have to feed on sugar (and to a lesser extent starches).

While there are other factors which can contribute to the process (such as which bacteria live in your mouth, whether you produce enough saliva to neutralize the acids - dry mouth can be a major contributing factor etc.), reducing the frequency of sugar intake is the one that is under our control more so than the other factors.

It sounds as if you've been taking all the right steps :).
 
I have also been chewing gum and mints for the past two years that has Xylitol to neutralize the acid in my mouth and help get it at good ph balance. I sure hope this is helping. Maybe I am not chewing enough gum and mints a day.
 
Rosy you sound as if you're doing all the right things now and you are being sensible. The horrible fact of life is though there are some people who will do absolutely nothing to look after their teeth and can sail through life without problems. Others can do all the right things, eat properly, brush and floss and everything the dentists tell us to do and yet they will have problems with needing fillings, this that and the other. I think a lot of it is genetic and down to luck!
 
Back
Top