• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist has prescribed Duraphat - not comfortable using it.

  • Thread starter Thread starter NewGirl07
  • Start date Start date
N

NewGirl07

Junior member
Joined
Sep 9, 2025
Messages
8
Location
Lincs
I haven't been to the dentist for over 20 years due to anxiety (I suffer with contamination OCD). I plucked up the courage to go as I had a niggling toothache and she's given me Duraphat 5000. I really don't like using it, In my area the water company add fluoride to the water (June 2025 result was 0.859mg/L). I only drink tap water and two cups of black coffee a day. I'm worried I am exposing myself to too much fluoride (I'm 47, 5'7 and weigh under 8st). The leaflet states not to use with fluoridated water. I've been using it for 3 weeks, I didn't even know my area had fluoride added to the water until I used the postcode checker. My teeth aren't great, I have loads of old fillings, a veneer I've had since I was 17. I think she said I had early stage tooth decay (I tend to switch off, not intentionally but due to my anxiety I sort of zone out, like information overload) she just gave me the toothpaste and said I didn't need to see her for a year (and to book in with the hygienist.). I was convinced I'd need loads of fillings or extractions so I don't understand how you can have tooth decay but not need work. I'm wondering if I've managed to get to this age without Duraphat do I really need it? I'm teetotal and don't smoke. My diet isn't great but I can cut back on stuff like the coffee and sweets/chocolate. Could I not address the problem by altering my diet? I'd appreciate any advice, thanks
 
If the sensitivity was coming from a tooth with an incipient lesion(early stage tooth decay), application of high concentration fluoride can actually reverse the lesion and treat the sensitivity. I'm thinking that's why she gave you prescription strength toothpaste.
Although, I do see your concern about the label advising against its use when in a region with fluoridated water. Try using the Duraphat 5000 until the sensitivity is gone then you can go back to your regular toothpaste.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you worry about the amount of fluoride in your body, I would suggest talking to your dentist, hygienist or pharmacist to get your total amount of fluoride evaluated.
 
I mentioned it to the hygienist who said they wouldn't prescribe it if it wasn't safe, and that she didn't know our town had fluoride added to the water. My mum called the dentist (I get nervous on the telephone) and spoke to the receptionist who said she'd ask the dentist. When my mum called back she said the dentist said it was ok to use and drink the water but then when I asked my mum if she'd actually said the fluoride was added and not naturally occurring she said she forgot that bit so I'm not better off. Now I've seen the hygienist I can see the white spots on my teeth that indicate tooth decay. I feel like I can't ring the dentist (it's a private practice) again but my OCD is in overdrive and I don't know what to do. I think I'll just use the toothpaste until the tube is empty and not renew it.
 
If you use the Duraphat correctly. A very small smear pressed into the bristles of the brush (so it doesn't come off in a big lump when you start using it!) then spit it out carefully afterwards, then the amount of Fluoride you actually ingest will be trivially small and have absolutely no harmful effects on you.
 
@Gordon Thanks for the tip Gordon, I have found it easier with pressing it into the bristles as i felt I was wasting what small amount I do use and was worrying about it being on my tongue, gums and not actually on my teeth. I'm overthinking brushing now but when you say spit 'carefully' I don't have to be concerned about it coming into contact with my lips or chin?
 
No, I meant just try to spit out as much as you can. Do not rinse out with water afterwards, you'll just wash it away and it'll do virtually no good at all :-)
Fluoride is absorbed in the digestive tract, not through the skin. BTW There's some decent evidence that a small amount of added fluoride in the diet is beneficial in minimising the effects of osteoporosis in later life.
 
Thanks for explaining that Gordon, it's much appreciated 🙂
 
Can the Duraphat cause sensitivity? I initially went to the dentist because I was experiencing discomfort in my first molar (upper left). It has a hole/ holes because I can get a tomato seed stuck in it. As mentioned before I was in a bit of a daze and overwhelmed by the dentist saying I didn't need any work done. However, for about the last week my toothache in that tooth seems to have come back with a vengeance. I'm having to eat on the other side again, and it's uncomfortable drinking coffee (I notice it more with hot drinks). It's weird because it's a throb and then an ache and it feels really sore around my gum on the inside between the first molar and second. Is it possible the dentist missed something or the decay is worse than they thought? I had x-rays done where they put the film in your mouth and you bite something. Does that show tooth decay? I want to go back because it's driving me insane worrying about what it is but I'm scared I'll have to have something drastic done like a root canal or extraction.
 
No, quite the opposite if anything.
X-rays are usually helpful at showing decay. If you're having pain you need to get it looked at, the longer you leave it the worse in the long run it'll be to fix it.
 
I've made an appointment with the dentist but I'm really anxious about going. I'm worried they might think I'm questioning their ability as I only went 5 weeks ago and was told I didn't need anything doing.
 
You're not questioning that, you have developed a new symptom that needs investigation.
 
Back
Top