• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist just turned me away for IV sedation

B

Bekialice

Hiya,
I've just joined this forum because I've just tried and failed to have a wisdom tooth out.

I was booked in to have my wisdom tooth out under IV sedation. I've been twice before for a check up and a consultation, they know how phobic i am since every time I've gone in, I've had a panic attack. They're supposed to be really good at dealing with nervous patients and have won awards for it.

When i got into the surgery, the dentist doing my extraction turned up late with a suitcase. When i finally went in, I was crying and struggling to control my breathing. She said my boyfriend couldn't be in the room and had to wait outside.
She sat me down and was being a bit snappy i thought. After a couple of minutes she said that she can't do it whilst I'm crying so I'm probably best rescheduling because i won't calm down. So then she sent me home and told me to reschedule.
I've paid £400 for the sedation and extraction and i really really don't want to go back. I genuinely feel like today has made my phobia worse.
I wouldn't go under GA to have it done, I know I just wouldn't turn up. I just don't know how I'm going to have it done.

Has anyone else been turned away for crying and panicking? How did you get around it?

Wow, I am so sorry that happened to you. I can't imagine how that must have felt, especially since you were brave enough to make it there in the first place, then told to reschedule.
It sounds like the dentist was maybe going on vacation right after (the suitcase?), and was impatient. That is no excuse for turning you away without even giving you a little bit to calm down.
I have never been turned away, but I have never had IV sedation, only nitrous.

Would you or your boyfriend feel comfortable calling or emailing the dentist/office and just explaining how it made you feel, and that it is hard just to get there, so coming back, especially after a bad experience, just makes it harder.

Wow, I am so sorry that happened to you. I can't imagine how that must have felt, especially since you were brave enough to make it there in the first place, then told to reschedule.
It sounds like the dentist was maybe going on vacation right after (the suitcase?), and was impatient. That is no excuse for turning you away without even giving you a little bit to calm down.
I have never been turned away, but I have never had IV sedation, only nitrous.

Would you or your boyfriend feel comfortable calling or emailing the dentist/office and just explaining how it made you feel, and that it is hard just to get there, so coming back, especially after a bad experience, just makes it harder.

Yeah, I might email and just explain that. I might have to find another dentist to do it, but it's been such a long process finding this one and I've already paid them qute a lot and signed into a dental plan. I feel really trapped but i don't want to go back to her if she's going to rush me out for crying ?

WOW! I am really at a loss for words! I don’t understand how an office who is known for helping anxious patients could treat somebody that way. So much went wrong here and none of it was your fault. Are there other dentists that work in that office that you may be able to see instead?

WOW! I am really at a loss for words! I don’t understand how an office who is known for helping anxious patients could treat somebody that way. So much went wrong here and none of it was your fault. Are there other dentists that work in that office that you may be able to see instead?
It was hard to make an appointment for this as she only works certain days and has loads of annual leave coming up, so I've already asked and apparently she's the only one that deals with extractions here. The original dentist who is the owner of the practice is amazing and he took ages doing a check up, showed me all the equipment etc. I wouldn't mind as much if he did it but apparently he doesn't ?
I really regret choosing this dentist, i thought with the awards that they would be okay

Yeah, I might email and just explain that. I might have to find another dentist to do it, but it's been such a long process finding this one and I've already paid them qute a lot and signed into a dental plan. I feel really trapped but i don't want to go back to her if she's going to rush me out for crying ?

I would say in the email why you chose that practice, and that if the dentist can't be understanding then you would like your money back to go somewhere else. Surely if the practice itself is geared towards anxious patients, the owner would understand that at least. I know how daunting it is to kind a good practice, though.

Any chance you can be referred somewhere else for the extractions and have the rest of the work done with the nicer dentist who owns the practice? Although after an experience like that, I’m not sure I’d want to return to the same practice at all.

"Has anyone else been turned away for crying and panicking? "
Never

Any chance you can be referred somewhere else for the extractions and have the rest of the work done with the nicer dentist who owns the practice? Although after an experience like that, I’m not sure I’d want to return to the same practice at all.

I'm going to ask if they can make an exception or I'll find another dentist. I'm gutted that she was like that because i did actually trust the first dentist. I just feel like I'm back at square one and I'll never be able to get my wisdom taken out because i can't stop myself crying.
They said they would ring me to rebook yesterday but they still haven't rang me so i might just send over an email instead.

"Has anyone else been turned away for crying and panicking? "
Never

I've been turned away by an NHS dentist because of my phobia so i just thought dentists generally won't deal with people crying ? do you think I'll be able to find someone that will?

There are plenty of dentists who are uncomfortable with anxious patients and can't deal with them as there are also a few of us who are fine with them.

I have as well been shamed and turned away due to panicking and reacting /crying. so there are those who I believe don't get anxiety and how to work with anxious patients but certainly there are those who are kind and patient . Its just finding those that are.

Bekialice,

I am so sorry how you were treated too. its just not ok in the least bit.. and it is her problem how she is treating you but still doesn't make it easier on you and only makes one more anxious . I hope you can find someone more compassionate and understanding.. I would feel definately uncomfortable as she used this shaming behavior.. and shaming behavior is trauma and we react with fight/flight/freeze.. myself I'd want to run from that one.. you are very brave facing this, processing it and thinking of what to do next!!!

Bekialice,

I am so sorry how you were treated too. its just not ok in the least bit.. and it is her problem how she is treating you but still doesn't make it easier on you and only makes one more anxious . I hope you can find someone more compassionate and understanding.. I would feel definately uncomfortable as she used this shaming behavior.. and shaming behavior is trauma and we react with fight/flight/freeze.. myself I'd want to run from that one.. you are very brave facing this, processing it and thinking of what to do next!!!

Aw thank you. I feel a bit less stressed knowing I'm not alone! Xx

I would think a large majority of patients who receive sedation, cry (hence the need for sedation). Also, I know many people who have cried in fear through appointments completely sober and the dentist still worked with them. The dentist’s response to your crying is inexcusable.

What an awful experience and an absolute no-no. People don't go for iv sedation because they enjoy being put under meds but because they are nervous and wouldn't be able to cope afterwards. Of course there is stress and tears involved and it is the job of your dentist to out you at ease (and if they are not able to then qualifying in sedation is a bad idea in general). Maybe she had a bad day, maybe not, but as MountainMama suggests, getting in touch with that office and let them know what happened might be a good idea. This is definitely worthy of a complaint.

I get the feeling of your phobia getting worse, after all you were judged and rejected because of being fearful and this makes it more difficult for your to get back. The ideal option, if any possible, would be to find a new dentist and let them know about your experience beforehand to make sure they look after you well. This would be starting from a scratch but if you do not feel like going back there maybe the best option.

By the way, of course you will find someone who will be happy to treat you. Working with nervous patients is very rewarding and many dentists enjoy it. I have met several nhs dentists who are amazing with nervous patients, so I am confident you will find one as well!

All the best wishes and keep us posted

So sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, I've had it happen too. Not only did they refuse me in the moment but wouldn't let me reschedule and try again either. While I thought I found a dentist to help, it was beyond him to actually do so. As annoying and difficult as it is to find a new practice, it is a better use of time and money. As Comfortdentist said, there ARE places that are willing and able to help you.

Back