• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just returned from a dentist

J

johnk

Hello everyone,

With some help from this website, I finally did it. I'm very excited now, and I'd like to share my story.

Some background first: I've been afraid of the dentist ever since I was a child -- mostly because of bad experience with my first dentist. During my childhood I had four cavities drilled with no numbing (insurance covers it completely, but I never knew there was the option...), the fear multiplied the pain and after the fourth session of agony, I've avoided dentist for about five years.

Every single day was filled with fear of what's happening in my mouth. First thing I do in the morning before opening my eyes -- I run my toungue and figers through my mouth looking for any horrible abscesses that might have appeared during the night (as once happened to me when I was a child). About four years ago one filling fell out of the tooth, but fear of pain in the dentist's office prevented me from doing anything about it, even though it haunted me every day. I actually hoped I'd get run over by a bus or somehow die before I'd have to face the inevitable... Seems so unreal now.

Last month I finally decided to actually do something about the situation. I remembered this site (visited it a few years back, but the thought of going to the dentist back then seemed way too distant). The step-by-step guide on this website was nice, but unfortunately, I come from the Czech Republic and, well... let's say thing are done differently here. First thing I had to do was find a new dentist, no way I'm coming back to the old one. I could get no good recommendations, so I just decided to try the one my mom is going to -- she's quite happy with her apparently.

First appointment. I just had to get registered, but still had a sleepless night. I hoped to meet the dentist, explain my fears and everything, but she probably wasn't there -- I only got to talk to a nurse, she told me to get my card from the old dentist and come back to finish the registration. I hoped I'd avoid seeing the horrible old dentist again, but it was unavoidable. So I went and asked for my card. She couldn't find it, saying she doesn't even remember me and that she doesn't keep so old records. Horrible experience -- I was very anxious and nervous when talking to her, especially when she asked me how long has it been since my last visit, which I couldn't remember ("Come on, you're not a small child anymore!", "Have you not been to the dentist for ten years or what??"). I lied to her, told her I've been visiting the new dentist for some time already, which only raised more questions... Finally she went to call my new dentist to tell her personally that she doesn't have my card, and I couldn't stop her. I was so afraid my little lie would be exposed, oh the embarassment...

So back to the new dentist's office with empty hands. Luckily no card wasn't such a problem with the new dentist (I wish I knew and wouldn't have to go try get it...). I got some registration documents to fill, date and time -- no "just talking" appointment, straight into the chair, no time to waste, apparently. I was too shaken and scared to not just accept that.

Today the day has come. Got four hours of sleep, "yay". Half an hour spent in the waiting room seemed like forever. Then I got called in and finally got to talk to the dentist herself. I explained my fear and told her how long has it been since my last visit. Got no comforting, reasurring words, or anything -- oh well, I guess it's not a "dream dentist", but I wouldn't back out at that point. I asked for numbing injection in case some work had to be done. Seems it's not a very usual request there, but she agreed. Then I got my mouth examined. She wasn't very gentle with the "poker", but at least it didn't hurt and it was finished quickly. Drilling time -- I got an injection (no numbing gel so I felt the sting, but it wasn't bad) and waited. I asked if, and how I should signal something in case I felt pain. She looked at me strangely and said that I can't expect to feel nothing -- but that it will be just dull feeling with the injection. "Just don't jump up and keep your tongue away from the drill." No signal then, let's hope for the best. Nurse went to hold my head tightly in place. I guess they didn't trust me not to move, but it actually felt kind of comforting so I was glad for it.

And it wasn't bad at all actually! First dental work I've ever had done painlessly, what a change. Got the tooth filled and that was it -- finally faced the worst of my fears. But more work has to be done. Since I asked for an injection, it will have to be on the next appointment. I think she only found one more cavity, so it would be the final, but I didn't ask. Before I got there I was sure I had at least four cavities that had to get fixed, but maybe it's just pigment or something? Or she might have missed them... I don't know.

So here I am, still numb, but relieved. Next time I'll be so much easier, knowing it can be done painlessly too. On the other hand, it definitely isn't the caring and comforting "dream dentist" I hoped for reading the other success stories. A kind word from her mouth would have helped tremendously... But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't find anyone much better around here -- all the "21st century" dentists are either full or horribly expensive, so I guess I'll just take it for now...

Pretty long post this turned out to be... so thanks for reading, even if you skipped parts :). Reading this myself, it doesn't sound much like a sucess story, makes me feel a bit sad actually. But I am having the "was this what I've been afraid of all the time?" thoughts, I've been looking forward to that :).

Congratulations on being so assertive with your 'not so customer orientated' new dentist. Shows a recommendation from your Mum was a good idea. It must be nice to know the anaesthesia works for you - would it not be available for extractions either normally? Where did you learn such excellent English?
Good luck with the next one.
:grouphug:

johnk said:
Nurse went to hold my head tightly in place. I guess they didn't trust me not to move, but it actually felt kind of comforting so I was glad for it.
For Issy's benefit, I just want to record that this would be considered 'restraint' in UK and could technically be construed as assault....no dentist or assistant has ever held my head with or without aneasthesia and it is obviously not something which would make me feel comforted but I realise you do not have the same rights and options; and that you were probably coping as best as you could in a difficult situation.

. Nurse went to hold my head tightly in place. I guess they didn't trust me not to move, but it actually felt kind of comforting so I was glad for it.
Omg that brings back bad memories :censored: Can't believe they still restrain people :o

Brit said:
Congratulations on being so assertive with your 'not so customer orientated' new dentist. Shows a recommendation from your Mum was a good idea. It must be nice to know the anaesthesia works for you - would it not be available for extractions either normally?
Thank you very much for your support :). It is indeed great knowing anaesthesia works for me. For extractions, root canals and similar complicated treatments, local anaesthesia is of course always provided, but for some reason it's not usual to give it for just "normal" cavity drilling (even though insurance covers it fully in all cases) -- some people actually prefer to endure a relatively short time of pain to having their jaw feeling numb and uncomfortable for the rest of the day, but I'm definitely not looking back now that I know there's the option, last time I remember the pain felt absolutely unbearable.

Brit said:
Where did you learn such excellent English?
Thanks again :). I went to a language elementary school, which gave me good basics and then I mostly self-learned from the internet during the high school.

Brit said:
For Issy's benefit, I just want to record that this would be considered 'restraint' in UK and could technically be construed as assault....no dentist or assistant has ever held my head with or without aneasthesia and it is obviously not something which would make me feel comforted but I realise you do not have the same rights and options; and that you were probably coping as best as you could in a difficult situation.
I never really thought about it that way... And I'm certain the nurse would not do it if I asked her not to. They could see I was rather nervous and shaky, I myself was not sure if I wouldn't "jump out" of the chair in case the anaesthesia didn't work so well, or something. So I say it was completely OK in this case.

As an example of what is definitely not OK can serve one of my memories from a childhood visit to the dentist where the dentist actually threatened to hold my mouth open with one of those steel mouth openers they have... I can understand that it's hard dealing with frightened children, but this is exactly the kind of thing that creates dental phobia. It would save us both so much worries if she asked about my fears and offered numbing instead of scaring me more... This is obviously an example of one extremely horrible dentist, I was just unlucky to stumble upon her when I was a child and didn't know my rights.

And talking about rights and options, I'm actually pretty sure I have about the same amount of rights as you do -- when I say I come from Czech Republic, many people still think the communist dictatorship we were 20 years ago, but things changed dramatically, including personal rights. The problem is, goverment and laws changed, but some (most) people just didn't -- the dentists I'm talking about were obviously educated deep in the communits times, on poor equipment and they were taught to optimize for efficiency, many of the things we can enjoy today -- like completely painless treatments -- seem like an unnecessary waste of time to them. On top of that, some are also horrible people -- perfect recipe for a phobia. Most patients are still used to the kind of treatment they've always been getting and they'd expect nothing more. New dentists today are taught better than that, but as I said, good dentists are either completely full, or they went private and thus they're expensive. General lack of dentistry students is another factor that only makes it worse. In any case, I expect that once the "oldschool" generation of dentists retires, we're up for happier times :).

Loved your story, and so well done for getting through it. Like the bit about the nurse holding your head. When I knew I was going to have some teeth (well all of them actually) pulled a few weeks ago, even though I had IV sedation I was convinced that I would still be aware and be backing away as the dentist came toward me with her tools and asked her beforehand whether they would be restraining me. I didn't think they would, because as posted earlier, it would be considered assault in UK but I honestly thought it would be the only way, and I have visions of myself being strapped into the chair, rather like the old frankenstein films where you saw him strapped down. Anyhow turned out fine - I was completely out so don't know how they managed, but I presume because I was 'asleep' I offered no resistance.
Anyhow as I said, enjoyed your story and it's so good when one gets through ones treatment with something positive to say. It really does help everyone else who still has forthcoming treatment. :grouphug:

scaredstiff said:
Loved your story, and so well done for getting through it.  Like the bit about the nurse holding your head. When I knew I was going to have some teeth (well all of them actually) pulled a few weeks ago, even though I had IV sedation I was convinced that I would still be aware and be backing away as the dentist came toward me with her tools [highlight]and asked her beforehand whether they would be restraining me. I didn't think they would, because as posted earlier, it would be considered assault in UK but I honestly thought it would be the only way, and I have visions of myself being strapped into the chair, rather like the old frankenstein films where you saw him strapped down.[/highlight] Anyhow turned out fine - I was completely out so don't know how they managed, but I presume because I was 'asleep' I offered no resistance.
Anyhow as I said, enjoyed your story and it's so good when one gets through ones treatment with something positive to say. It really does help everyone else who still has forthcoming treatment. :grouphug:
Can i just ask, what did Jenny say ? Because this is a major problem i have

I should clarify what I said in an earlier post about restraining. I had asked my dentist about it because I honestly couldn't see any other way if they wanted to do any work on me because I would instinctively be drawing back. Of course, she just laughed. They would never do that at all. Sorry if I got anyone worried.

scaredstiff said:
Loved your story, and so well done for getting through it.  Like the bit about the nurse holding your head. When I knew I was going to have some teeth (well all of them actually) pulled a few weeks ago, even though I had IV sedation I was convinced that I would still be aware and be backing away as the dentist came toward me with her tools and asked her beforehand whether they would be restraining me. I didn't think they would, because as posted earlier, it would be considered assault in UK but I honestly thought it would be the only way, and I have visions of myself being strapped into the chair, rather like the old frankenstein films where you saw him strapped down. Anyhow turned out fine - I was completely out so don't know how they managed, but I presume because I was 'asleep' I offered no resistance.

Thanks! I totally see what you mean by helping others by describing positive experiences, I spent good portion of the last night going through the success stories posted here when I couldn't sleep.
That's also why I was a bit reluctant to post this as a success story -- it doesn't seem to be as much of a success as most of the other people's stories here who found a perfect dentist right away, and found out their teeth are actually fine and everything... :)

I'm sorry about making Issy worried with the head-holding part, but as I said, I actually found it helpful and I'm certain that if I asked, they wouldn't do it. So don't worry Issy, and good luck!

I posted in the success stories section when I had my first appointment - the consultation - because although I had nothing done, just found out what I had to have done, to me it was a big achievement and I was proud of myself. However, when I posted it I felt a complete fraud because I told myself, as nothing was done it wasn't really a success. But I then changed my mind. As far as I'm concerned now, and I know everyone else will share this view, because of our dental phobias, every single visit to the dentist is a success story. So again, well done, you have achieved success and more is to come.

johnk said:
I'm sorry about making Issy worried with the head-holding part, but as I said, I actually found it helpful and I'm certain that if I asked, they wouldn't do it. So don't worry Issy, and good luck!

Personally I would say hand-holding (one hand only) as reassurance, would be more appropriate in this situation.

Sorry (it was late at night - I am in a different time zone) I do know you are long out of Communist rule - but as you say it takes a long time before old attitudes work through the system and before the economy normalises enough to provide higher quality customer service standards across the board...it will get there as you say.

The attitude you describe of some people preferring pain for a filling to feeling numb afterwards also prevails to some extent in my last EU country (Not UK but I am English) hence why I had a few cultural differences with certain dentists there! Lack of gentleness and rough handling was also a theme in one instance. I have long since come to expect dentistry to be painless and so cannot cope with this 'out of date' approach.
Stick around and thanks for sharing :grouphug:

Last edited:
Hi there,
first of all congratulations to johnk :jump: for getting through your appointment with grace. Well done. I am sorry that you don't have a "dream dentist" as I know the situation in our country isn't as bad as you've described it. There are just big differences between practices.

I am from the Czech Republic too and I have one of those "dream dentists". I also thought that "all the "21st century" dentists are either full or horribly expensive" as you wrote, but then I looked around and found out that there are good, affordable dentists who take on new patients. The situation is worse outside the big towns, where there isn't much competition, but in my opinion a great dentist is worth travelling. Especially when considering that we are a pretty small country, where the distances are not that big.

I travel to Prague. My dentist is private and although my income is below average I can afford it (+ orthodontic treatment + hygienist appointments twice a year). The treatment is definitely more affordable here in the Czech Rep. than e.g. in the UK, US etc. One of the problems may be, that the most practices don't have price lists on their websites and so after reading about the latest technologies being used at those practices people often assume that the care is extremely expensive which is not allways true (of course sometimes is).

It's a matter of the priorities. We (Czechs) are unfortunately used to have a free medical care. And when somebody is offering even the first class care which is paid, no matter what the price is, if it's not free there is still lots of people who consider it expensive.

In my dental practice injections come as a standard for all treatments (I don't require numbing gel because it's allways painless, but a numbing gel is an option there) and they are free. We have a stop signal and my doctor often asks me whether everything's allright during the treatments. And the best of all a gentle, caring attitude, reassurance and a big smile are included in price.  :thumbsup: After years of being scared of the dentists my doctor cured my phobia in the first appointment (this appointment was just x-rays, talking and checkup) and I was actually quite excited about going back and having my teeth fixed.  :rolleyes: And yes, they have HealOzone, CEREC such stuff in the dental centre as well.  :)

The checkups, x-rays, injections, extractions and the cheapest dentures are on NHS there (I am not sure what else - I think that's all), the other work such as fillings, root canals, veneers, crowns, bridges and so on is paid. It's not cheap, but it's affordable and I think it's a pretty good way how to make us patients more responsible and to teach us to take a good care of our oral health.

So that was another Czech experience, just to let you know, that we are not in an ice age here anymore.  ;)

jonk, take care, good luck with your next appointment and if you want somebody more reassuring don't give up. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for that Liberated..just wanted to congratulate you on your excellent English also...the education system must be fab at teaching languages - you and Johnk both write like native English speakers.

Glad you've found your 'dream dentist' - that's usually the surefire way of kicking the fear into touch.

Perhaps you could send him a 'pm' with details of your dentist since I notice on another thread that he is now worried about his wisdom teeth.

Brit said:
Perhaps you could send him a 'pm' with details of your dentist since I notice on another thread that he is now worried about his wisdom teeth.

She actually did send me a PM about that a week ago :). I didn't notice until today though.

I guess I'll write about the appointment today while I'm at it. It was much easier for me to go this time, I was only scared a little bit since it went pretty good last time... When I sat in the chair I politely asked for an injection again and got it.

This time though, she didn't want to waste time while waiting for the injection to take effect, so she sent me back to the waiting room and took another patient... I waited for about 10 minutes before they were done and called me back in. I was worried that it might lose some effect during that time (last time she only waited about 3 minutes) -- and it did :(. Since she apparently isn't a fan of 'stop' signals, I had to endure. I guess the pain was more bearable than with no numbing at all, but I'd still appreciate if she just gave me another shot -- even without a 'stop' signal I think it was pretty obvious I was in pain.

I'm glad it's over for now (I'm not even numb anymore, it took longer last time), but as I said in another thread, I don't really like or trust her and I'm still worried that she might have missed something that will cause more troubles later... So I'll be looking for another dentist anyway.

I've already thanked Liberated in the PM reply, but I'll do it publicly too: Thanks for your support and insight, Liberated :).

johnk said:

Since she apparently isn't a fan of 'stop' signals, I had to endure. I guess the pain was more bearable than with no numbing at all, but I'd still appreciate if she just gave me another shot -- even without a 'stop' signal I think it was pretty obvious I was in pain.

I don't really like or trust her and I'm still worried that she might have missed something that will cause more troubles later... So I'll be looking for another dentist anyway.

I hate the woman :devilish: just from reading this and I've never even met her  :p....glad you are going to change....a stop signal is everyone's right as we discussed before.
Good luck.

Brit said:
Thanks for that Liberated..just wanted to congratulate you on your excellent English also...the education system must be fab at teaching languages - you and Johnk both write like native English speakers.

Thanks for the compliment, Brit. I had an excellent English teacher on a high school who has taught us one important thing - to love English - and everything else was easy then. :thumbsup: Can't imagine to live without English now. It has made my world much bigger.

Back