• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist music

I'm gonna take my Ipod when i next see Jenny.So hopefully with Valium & music i'll get through it :)

I always take a cd walkman / mp3 player with me with a relaxation cd if I need any treatment involving drilling. i find this drowns out the noise and helps me relax.

Just catching up with this thread - and re. the earlier stuff about songs that mention dentists, anyone else freaked out by that line in the Kaiser Chiefs' 'Oh my God' that goes: *Sucked more blood than a backstreet dentists'*:o

One of my sons is Kaiser Chiefs crazy and often plays that in the car. Freaks me right out!

As for music to listen to, I'd find it hard enough figuring out a playlist to listen to when I'm out jogging - having to figure out a whole new one for the dentists would be even more difficult! Also I can't not sing along to music...

Last edited:
I could write an essay on the music and bands I like.:) The top three bands on my list are Guns N roses, AC/DC, and Vanhalen. I am not really sure what my dentist plays because im always listening to my ipod there.

Valium + Mike Oldfield = dental bliss? (okay well not THAT blissful) but I did reach a "You mean you're done already?" response :)

My iPod travels with me to dentist here on out....

Well i had to go to the local Dental Access Centre for an extraction on 7th November, and sat listening to my Ipod on shuffle when i was waiting to be seen, and then when he sent me in the waiting room for my mouth to go numb.

The following songs were ones that came on while i was there:

1. Hear'Say - Angel In My Heart
2. Westlife - She's Back
3. The Feeling - Kettle's On
4. Westlife - I Did It For You

Lmfaoooo - i sooooo wanted to belt out the Westlife ones when they came on (I'm Westlife mad). Haha, and of course they have the classic stand-up for the key change in one of them, but i figured everyone in the waiting room would think i'd gone a little mad if i stood up suddenly!!!:p:redface:

I took my ipod to my root canal appt, it made a world of difference. I loaded it with fast, loud songs and was pressing ffwd to the next song as each one ended so there would be no silent bits in between!
There was music playing in the room, but it was some kind of 'relaxing' ambience music. I think it was more for the dentist's entertainment than the patients! She also had a tv on the wall but I couldn't see it once I was reclined. Of course I had my eyes screwed so tight I couldn't see anything anyway!
I will definitely be taking my ipod to all future appts where possible.

you know the way dentists recommend you listen to music while in the chair?
What is your favourite:
Song to listen to?
Song associated with dentists?
Mine is Anything by Coldplay and I think I'll be Ok by McFly Tops the song about dentists! :party:
Haha, i know this is a phobia forum, but you've sent me on a hyper after i read that! McFlyyyyyyyyyyyyy - i'm seeing them tomorrow night at the M.E.N Arena with my brother and godfather's two daughters!;D:jump::party:

I have a few songs that remind me of the dentist, but not in a bad way. They talk about fear and stuff and that it's okay because I've got friends to support me. =D
The songs are:
The Cab- I'll Run
The Cab- Take My Hand

I also have a 6 hour playlist specifically for the dentist, it has 105 songs on it, so I don't get too used to any specific songs, it's pretty new every time.
The artists are:
3OH!3
Zac Brown Band
We The Kings
Valencia
There For Tomorrow
Taylor Swift
Sing It Loug
Sherwood
The Rocket Summer
Panic At the Disco
Just Surrender
Holiday Parade
Friday Night Boys
Forever The Sickest Kids
Fall Out Boy
Every Avenue
David Cook
The Dangerous Summer
The Color Fred
Cartel
Cobra Starship
The Cab
Bowling For Soup
Anberlin
All Time Low

My dentist had the radio on today.. the only song I can remember was @Donald were's your troosers!' ... I thought I had erased all memory of that song... !*&&*!"£! Dentists!!

:scared:

This is an interesting thread. I am going to take my ipod along to my root canal treatment and can't make up my mind to take along something fast and loud or something gentle and soothing....

I just play my Ipod on shuffle, which has quite a few artists, with many albums for most of them, so there's no chance of getting the same songs played on each joyous visit to the dentist.

The artists on my Ipod are:

ABBA
Backstreet Boys
Bay City Rollers
Blue
Bon Jovi
Bowling For Soup
Boyzone
Brian McFadden
Busted
Embrace
The Feeling
Girls Aloud
Good Charlotte
Green Day
Hear'Say
Kaiser Chiefs
Leon Jackson
Leona Lewis
Lostprophets
The MacDonald Brothers
Mariah Carey
McFly
Mika
My Chemical Romance
Nickelback
Oasis
Queen
R.E.M.
Richard Fleeshman
Ross Copperman
S Club 7
S Club Juniors/8
Scissor Sisters
Shayne Ward
Simple Plan
Steps
Take That
Westlife
30 Seconds To Mars

Also featured on there is the High School Musical soundtracks!

I'm having nitrous. Will I be aware of music? What do you think is better - something with lyrics for me to focus on or something soothing like new age music or classical?

Alternatively I was wondering about listening to an audiobook or even to this hypnosis relaxing thing I have - but will I be able to focus on these will having nitrous? Anyone know?

What about movies too, for those of us with PSP's or those fancypants iPod players? Or would that just get in the way a bit?

I listen to Paradise City by guns and roses on my ipod =)

It has to be loud for me!! I go with the Come Clarity CD by In Flames or the Noble CD by Versailles Philharmoic Quintet. Got to be loud; it helps me concentrate elsewhere.:cheers:

I have a few songs that remind me of the dentist, but not in a bad way. They talk about fear and stuff and that it's okay because I've got friends to support me. =D
The songs are:
The Cab- I'll Run
The Cab- Take My Hand

I also have a 6 hour playlist specifically for the dentist, it has 105 songs on it, so I don't get too used to any specific songs, it's pretty new every time.
The artists are:
3OH!3
Zac Brown Band
We The Kings
Valencia
There For Tomorrow
Taylor Swift
Sing It Loug
Sherwood
The Rocket Summer
Panic At the Disco
Just Surrender
Holiday Parade
Friday Night Boys
Forever The Sickest Kids
Fall Out Boy
Every Avenue
David Cook
The Dangerous Summer
The Color Fred
Cartel
Cobra Starship
The Cab
Bowling For Soup
Anberlin
All Time Low
Hey Mate,

Just thought i'd say thanks for mentioning The Cab! I'd never heard of them until reading your post, but they're really good!

Nicky Byrne pelase tell me 'The Macdonald Brothers' is a typo!:censored: I agree with the Kaiser Chiefs, though. I couldn't bear to look any further down your list, in case you got 'Same Difference'... ;)

I have a root canal coming up so will probably put some stuff on an old MP3, rather than my i-pod, to keep it separate! I have some hippy dippy relaxation style stuff and Reiki meditations so will probably do them!

I did the Race For Life last year and my i-pod was what kept me running! When I got to the last part, Pulp's 'Common People' came on, and I ran hell for leather! Odd how powerful music is.

Nicky Byrne pelase tell me 'The Macdonald Brothers' is a typo!:censored: I agree with the Kaiser Chiefs, though. I couldn't bear to look any further down your list, in case you got 'Same Difference'... ;)

I have a root canal coming up so will probably put some stuff on an old MP3, rather than my i-pod, to keep it separate! I have some hippy dippy relaxation style stuff and Reiki meditations so will probably do them!

I did the Race For Life last year and my i-pod was what kept me running! When I got to the last part, Pulp's 'Common People' came on, and I ran hell for leather! Odd how powerful music is.
Haha! Nah mate, when i put my list on here, i didn't have 'Same Difference' but i do now! :p

Back