• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dentistry in middle east

T

truly_terrified

I'm going over to Jordan next month to visit my husband's family. My husband has a dentist over there who he visits regularly and says that he is gentle and good at his job.
I have agreed to see his dentist, even though I am phobic of them.

My main worry is that they won't have come across phobic patients before and I am really worried about freaking out during the appointment. This dentist is also a friend of the family and I don't want knowledge of my phobia getting back to them, as only my husband is aware of my phobia (and it was hard enough telling him!)

I really don't know how to handle this, and whether I should just cancel the appointment. Does anyone here know about middle eastern dentistry and can advise me please?

Hi
I lived in the Arab Emirates for 4 years. I had a dentist out there who didnt understand my phobia but was very nice.He had all the stuff for painfree dentistry, the wand, and the cleaning stuff thats a bit like microdermabrasion for teeth not a horrid metal scraper! Dentistry out there is private so a service. if a dentist is mean or does a bad job he'll go out of business so the standards og care are very high.
My dentist didnt get why i was afraid as he could see no reason to be afraid! When i closed my eyes I remember him saying 'why do you close your eyes? is there a ghost and you do not wish to see him?' he made me laugh and was really nice.
The only thing you need to remember is that quite a lot of dentists dont operate in the day during ramadan so you might have to work round that.
I'm very envious of you going somewhere so warm though! have a brilliant time!

Thanks littlestar88. That has put my mind at rest somewhat. Although, I am bit suprised that they do not have phobic patients. My husband who is jordanian, admitted that he is scared of dentists, so there must be some phobic arabic patients too :)

I was wondering whether most dentist's in the middle east have the latest technology in dentistry to provide a pain free service?

I thought that maybe cos they dont have that history or school dentists etc that they dont get the whole fear from some of the stuff that we got in the 60's and earlier. they just got the modern dentistry where everything is pain-free
grr!

Thanks littlestar88. That has put my mind at rest somewhat. Although, I am bit suprised that they do not have phobic patients. My husband who is jordanian, admitted that he is scared of dentists, so there must be some phobic arabic patients too :)

I was wondering whether most dentist's in the middle east have the latest technology in dentistry to provide a pain free service?

Littlestar you would have been seeing a modern expat type dentist in the UAE though...I'm willing to bet there would be variation and I'm sure there are some of the same phobias (because they are not just about pain) to some extent. What the dentist said to you could have been part of his technique for helping you..that comment would have made me laugh to.

Your husband is the one you need to grill..as he knows the dentist already ....how modern? what equipment? It may be easier for you to agree to go 'just for a chat appointment' ...if you feel comfortable let him take a look, do x-rays.....if it's all too hopelessly primitive, back off at that point but surely your husband wouldn't recommend somewhere there wasn't up to scratch? He should NOT share any info with relatives because of confidentiality. Maybe you have struck lucky and this is a genuine attempt to help you get over your phobia. Getting to know the dentist as a person/relative/friend of the family first would go a long way tomaking you feel more comfortable. Keep your OH at your side at all times as well.

Back