• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentures to implants

T

tazey

So I'm told that you have to wear dentures first before getting implants,if so how long for? I have trouble even coping with try ins so can't imagine leaving something in for more than a minute. I'd appreciate a reply as my next appointment isn't till october+id rather know beforehand.

I don’t have either, and am not a Dentist, but my mum has two implants and my manager at work is in the process of getting several. Both had partial dentures during the process of the implant screw bit “taking” until the tooth part could be put on. My manager doesn’t wear his as the teeth are at the back, but my mum wore hers immediately after the extraction (front teeth) until the final implant. Time-wise, I think my mum was about six months, my manager started the process almost a year ago and his implants haven’t worked properly in terms of the bone graft so it’s taking longer than expecting. My mum’s implants look great and she is very glad she went through the process.

Thanks for replying but its not just a few its all+i really don't want too but am told its part of getting the implants so may not have a choice. Guess if it happens will just have to hide inside+not talk to people :-\

its not just a few its all+

Do you mean you're hoping to get an individual implant for each missing tooth? As in, about 24 to 28 implants?

It depends on which implant system is being used, there are many nowadays.

Some you can "load" immediately, in other words they can support the denture right after they're placed, the original Branemark system requires a period of about 6 months before it can be loaded.

You'll need to ask your surgeon which system they're using and if it allows immediate loading or not.

Do you mean you're hoping to get an individual implant for each missing tooth? As in, about 24 to 28 implants?
No highly doubt that's likely.

It depends on which implant system is being used, there are many nowadays. Some you can "load" immediately, in other words they can support the denture right after they're placed, the original Branemark system requires a period of about 6 months before it can be loaded. You'll need to ask your surgeon which system they're using and if it allows immediate loading or not.
I don't even know when the next op is planned (did ask) I'd rather not wear any but according to some I can't do that+have to wear dentures first see how i get on then see about implants. Why can't tne implants just be put in?

Back