• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deviated Jaw After Tooth Extraction

M

MoannaMoon

4 days ago I finally had my impacted wisdom tooth removed. I was very nervous but got through it. I'm now very anxious about the recovery. My jaw still feels very stiff and although the swelling has gone down I still can't open my mouth fully. When I do open it, my jaw deviates to the right quite significantly (extraction was on left side) and I still can't open my mouth fully. The pain is better than it was. Will this rectify itself or do I need to see dentist again? Thank you for your advice.

I had all my 4 wisdom teeth out and 3 was impacted and for me it took a week to be able to open my mouth normal

It's normal. You can help things along with judicious use of hot/ice packs over the joint Just in front of your ear) on the left side, frozen veg wrapped in a dish cloth is best, or microwave a damp dish cloth for warmth.

Ice is usually best but some people get more relief from warm packs. Try both at first and see what works for you.

Sorry to bring back an old thread. But I'm still having issues with my jaw. It's swinging to the right on opening and I can feel the ball of the jaw joint much more pronounced on the left side. I now can open my mouth wide and I'm not in pain. I'm really scared that the dentist could have dislocated my jaw. I can't go back because I'm isolating before surgery to treat breast cancer. I'm really worried that the jaw issues is going to cause problems with intubating me during surgery. So could it be dislocated without pain or is it something else TMJ related? And will it cause me issues during my surgery?

If your jaw was actually dislocated you couldn't move it at all. It's possible that the joint has been deranged a bit during the surgery, but it's still pretty early days. It won't cause your anaesthetist any particular problems, (my son is a consultant anaesthetist, I've just asked him!) but it's worth mentioning to them anyway.

Back