• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Digital scanner

Thank you! Yes, it has been crazy. I don’t know if you saw any of my other more recent posts but my doctor is doing all kinds of tests as she suspects an autoimmune disorder or possibly just a “malfunction”.
I haven’t, I’ve deeply dwelling in my own dental misery/anxiety lately but I’ll have to take a look at your recent posts ? I sure hope they can figure out what’s going on but super glad things are seeming to look up for you. You’ve had a rough dental time lately ?you definitely deserve a break. I will say your strength is admirable and your handling things better then I ever could ❤️

I haven’t, I’ve deeply dwelling in my own dental misery/anxiety lately but I’ll have to take a look at your recent posts ? I sure hope they can figure out what’s going on but super glad things are seeming to look up for you. You’ve had a rough dental time lately ?you definitely deserve a break. I will say your strength is admirable and your handling things better then I ever could ❤

I am probably coming across calmer on here than in real life. Lol. I am not quite as anxious now that my worst fears happened and it wasn’t as bad as my imagination. I still have a lot of fear around going to the dentist. My cleaning next week will probably cause a lack of sleep this week and next.

I am probably coming across calmer on here than in real life. Lol. I am not quite as anxious now that my worst fears happened and it wasn’t as bad as my imagination. I still have a lot of fear around going to the dentist. My cleaning next week will probably cause a lack of sleep this week and next.
Aww ? I know just went to mine yesterday I was a wreck I never experience that before at a dentist for a cleaning now I’m analyzing everything so worried about losing my teeth etc in mind crushing the anxiety just no escape from it. Your going to do great though ?your getting so close to the end you seem to have an awesome home and dental staff by your side.. plus all of us here in your corner ? I wish I was a brave as you. Your taking control, owning your situation and making it better. your tougher then u think

Aww ? I know just went to mine yesterday I was a wreck I never experience that before at a dentist for a cleaning now I’m analyzing everything so worried about losing my teeth etc in mind crushing the anxiety just no escape from it. Your going to do great though ?your getting so close to the end you seem to have an awesome home and dental staff by your side.. plus all of us here in your corner ? I wish I was a brave as you. Your taking control, owning your situation and making it better. your tougher then u think
Thank you. That means a lot. You will do fine, too! No more teeth lost for you!

I realize this is an old thread, but I want to share my experience with the scanner wand. The first time I had it used on me was just awful! I felt embarrassed, awkward. self conscious, and disgusted. I asked how they sterilized it, and was told by the person using it on me that they wipe it with alcohol! I was expecting to hear something like ethylene oxide, or Steris or autoclave. so I became extremely panicked regarding this. Two days later I started to feel very sick, I developed a high fever of 103, and tachycardia, and began to have odd, uncontrollable tongue biting episodes, which truly terrified me. I was already on antibiotics for a dental issue, but almost done with taking them. I ended up going to the emergency room and was diagnosed with S.I.R.S. systemic inflammatory response syndrome.I was prescribed another round of a different antibiotic and did recover, but as a result have become even more fearful (if that is even possible) of going to the dentist.
Last week I had my second encounter with this disgusting device. I sat there with that nasty wand in my mouth for an overextended period, while they were taking impressions with it. It felt so gross and I just wanted to die right there because what I have been leaving out is humiliating to me, but I've said this much, so here goes. that wand is kind of big and it also feels warm which does not help matters. It also did not help that they had two different people using it on me, the second one was a man that would aggressively reposition my head during his turn with the scanner. I know this all may sound like I am being too weird about this but I can"t help it, I have a long time dental phobia, and I was sexually assaulted (not dental related) in the past and somehow I think these factors contributed to my misery. I was thoroughly traumatized by the experience and ended up in tears from the whole experience. So. for me, if given a choice, will gladly take the risk of losing a loose tooth and or gagging on the vanilla flavored paste in the old tray, over the nasty latex (their gloves) flavored scanner wand.