• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does it really need extracting? (i have added a pick to this thread)

D

Dentist hater

I have been told this tooth needs to be extracted because there will not be enough tooth left to be restored after the root canal but there is still one side intact, could anyone look at this pic and give your opinion.

Attachments

• tooth.jpg
    tooth.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 79
Its too hard to tell from the pic sadly.
If any part of the marging of the tooth is below the gumline- then often it can not be restored.
If you are unsure- my advice would be to ask for a second opinion from another dentist.
I have certainly saved teeth before that other dentists have told patients were 'unsaveable'.
Hope this helps
Regards
Dr Mike

How do you actually know if a tooth is cracked below the gumline, maybe i got confused by what he was telling me, i heard something about decay far up above gumline aswell i think, last time he said its 3/4 out of 10 of saving it and then he said it needs to come out, its confusing for me, if it was absolutely impossible to save why did he give me a small indication that he would try then? Sorry this is annoying me lol. Would i actually know if the tooth is cracked below the gumline because when i look in the mirror it doesnt seem to show any?

Back