• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dont know what will happen to my teeth aged 28.

  • Thread starter Thread starter sammyjayneex
  • Start date Start date
S

sammyjayneex

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
32
So I'm 28. I have horrible teeth. Years ago I had every tooth filled close to the nerve, had one root canal with a crown but not sure whether that has problems now. I think the tooth that have been filled now have new problems, I already have 2 missing teeth. I am in a lot of pain at the moment with another tooth. I didn't return to the dentist due to fear and that I will be judged. I have plucked up the courage to make an appointment which is for September but I am worried I will be judged and they will say I need every tooth extracted and need dentures. This scares me because I don't want my bone to disappear and make me look old. The thing that annoys me is that last time I went to the dentist she said I needed no fillings but I clearly did at the time and no they have been left they have got worse. Also the nurse said to the dentist 'that tooth will need a crown wont it' but the dentist said 'oh we will see' I never got a crown and this is now the tooth that's giving me bad pain. Will the dentist just pull out all my teeth? And are full dentures really that bad at 28? Anyone else have them?
 
In the thirty years that I have practiced I have done only 1 set of dentures for someone under 30 and I think 2 for someone under forty. My point is your treatment recommendation will largely depend on who you see.
 
I don't know what will happen as this is a new dentist so no idea what the dentists are like. I just i don't become toothless at 28. Can they still save teeth that have fillings close to the nerve? Would NHS do lots of root canals If I needed them?
 
Hi :welcome:to the forum.

Yes if you need rct's they will do them on the nhs. I doubt that you will need all your teeth extracting. There are people on here that have not seen a dentist in 10-20 years and they don't end up with all their teeth removing. Things will not be as bad as you think they are and you will not be judged. If you feel judged and uncomfortable then don't go back they are not there to judge you and the good ones will not do this. They will have a look at your teeth and you will probably hear them saying numbers to the nurse this is charting your teeth. They usually like to take an x ray too but if you don't feel you can cope with that then ask if it can be done later. They do need an x ray to be able to tell the true condition of your teeth and roots in order to make a treatment plan with you. They will tell you what treatment you need and then you can agree to how and when it will be done.

Always remember you are in charge and you have to give your consent to any and all treatment being done, you don't have to sit there and do as you are told. It is a partnership between you and the dentist and a trust needs to be built up in order for you to feel able to face the treatment.

Explain to the dentist that you feel nervous and what it is you fear that way they know how best to help you. They can take any treatment you need slow, by starting with the small stuff and working up to any bigger treatments you may need. That way you get to know each other and a trust will form automatically.

I wish you all the best with your appointment and try not to worry too much, I am sure it will be fine :butterfly:
 
Thank you for your reply.

Last time I went a few years ago they said that most of my fillings are close to the nerve and now I think most of them have broke slightly
Will these teeth need extracting because they are close to the nerve?
 
Hi -

No, they really don't need to extract teeth if the filling is close to the nerve! Generally dentists will try to save the natural tooth if they can. Some of them may need root canal treatment, but that's OK, they will do that on the NHS and you are very unlikely to lose your teeth.

Honestly, I don't think it will be as bad as you fear - many people go to the dentist after a long break expecting to lose all their teeth - and discover that all they needed was fillings and maybe a crown or two!


Well done for making that appointment, I know what a big step that is x

Tink
 
Thanks again

What's the worse case scenario where you would need all your teeth removed?
 
Back
Top