• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dumb Question for Dentists Here ...

  • Thread starter Thread starter CCanny
  • Start date Start date
C

CCanny

Junior member
Joined
Mar 8, 2014
Messages
9
I'm having my teeth cleaned for the first time in a VERY long time tomorrow. (I had an abcess cleared out with a wisdom tooth pull a few weeks ago and made a promise to keep on top of my teeth from now on.)

I'm very nervous. If I bring a small teddy bear to squeeze when things get a little loud and hairy, will the dentist think I'm crazy? I was really flailing when my teeth were pulled and occasionally squeezing the nurse's arm really helped, but I'd rather let the hygienist have her arms to work.

What would a dentist here think? I'm a 45 year old woman. ;)
 
I'm sure they wouldn't mind; whatever makes things easier for you and them :). I sometimes take a squeezy stress ball with me which is in the shape of a pink brain and I've never been laughed at for doing that (and I'm 34).

I'm sure you'll be fine taking a small teddy bear with you if it helps you to feel comfortable :).
 
I have to bring my weighted blanket, my puff the magic dragon musical stuffed animal, and my fiancé. I play the music on the stuffed animal to calm myself down. A respectable dentist will never laugh at you or make fun of you for doing what you can to cope with the fear.
 
YAY! It went great. The dentist laughed at first, but when he saw me nearly twisting that bear's head off ala The Exorcist, he said he was glad I brought it.

He was kind of lecturing me a lot, BUT, while sort of painful (the bottom front teeth were AWFUL, holy moly) the end result is THRILLING. After 25 years of not seeing a dentist, I have no decay except for one cavity and a bunch of tartar (which was my fault and I sucked up the pain. I'd earned a little 'zaaaaap' "ouch" to get it taken off. It was a *lot*. Like three layers of it. He called it "The Great Wall of Tartar" ;)

I HAVE BEAUTIFUL CLEAN TEETH NOW. And will have a nice little filling at the end of next week and I can start going to the dentist every six months now like a regular person. I'M SO HAPPY, YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

Two decades of terror was SO MUCH WORSE than the cleaning (and where I thought a front tooth was decaying ... IT WAS TARTAR. It's so clean and white and pretty now!)

Thanks guys, you helped me a lot through this. I have such a weight lifted from me.
 
Back
Top