• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Electric toothbrushes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nat
  • Start date Start date
N

Nat

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
764
Hiya, I am looking into buying an electric toothbrush, the question I have though is are these actually better for your teeth than the standard brushes? If so what would be the best one to buy from a dentists point of view!? I have been looking at the sonicare ranges and they do seem very expensive! Also the Oral B proffesional models but I dont really want to waste my money if a regular toothbrush does the same job! Thanks all!
 
Hi Nat,

Not a professional opinion by any means but I have the sonicare elite brush and i really love it. It seems to do a very good job of cleaning my teeth.

Also good luck on the 9th with the crowns. I am sure all will go fine for you. I will be going on the 8th for my perm crowns and am hoping all will be well and I will be done with it. Especially since i have vacation planned pretty soon after. Tooth is still a bit cranky from time to time so I am a bit nervous now but we will see.
 
Hi i have just bought an oralb 8500 professional clean toothbrush. I've had it for a week, at first it kept cutting out on me because i was pressing too hard on my gums (which is good, don't want to do too musch damage) but the difference in cleanliness is amazing and my mouth feels so much better for it.
 
I use an Oral B electric brush. I think it works better than a manual brush in my hands. Some of our US members report getting fantastic deals on Oral B brushes via eBay.
 
Do you have any views as to the rev speeds on the various models available? They seem to go from 7,000 revs to 30,000+ revs.

Am I right in thinking that if you are cleaning your teeth twice a day and have a tendency to gums receding (probably originally caused by too much brushing), you'd probably be better off with a lower number of revs to avoid too much wear to gums and enamel.

I already use the extra soft toothbrush heads and a slower rev electric brush; but am happy to invest in a higher tech version if that would be better.

Is there any evidence that the ultrasonic ones are better - some hygienists seem to recommend these?
Real confusion here for the consumer with all the different models available.
 
Brit said:
Real confusion here for the consumer with all the different models available.

I know that feeling, I have been looking about for a while now and with all these different models and makes I just didnt know where to start!

Gordon, Is there a specific oral B model thats better than any of the others as there are loads of them or do they all work just as good as each other?
 
Hi Nat, any of the Oral-B Professional Series (the rotating oscillating rechargable ones with the small round brushheads) appear to outperform other types of toothbrushes (that's according to a Cochrane report - a meta-analysis of studies about which toothbrushes work best).
Sonicare is also a good choice but the brushheads are really expensive and they're harder to clean.
 
Thanks Lets, Oral B its going to be then! I have looked on some websites and the sonicare is a bit out of my price range!
 
Hi, I'll make this real easy for you!! Go to ebay and type in ORAL B PRO 8850 DXL. See what comes up.

I went to my dentist (after not going for years and years) and they recommended the Oral B.  I told them "but I use a battery operated toothbrush, isn't that good enough?".  The dental hygienist takes out two toothbrushes. One looked just like my old battery operated one and the other was the Oral B Pro 8850 DXL.

she puts them both on. They start rotating, oxilating, whatever you call it.

She the asked me to touch them as they are doing their thing.  She then asks me "which one of these do you think will clean your teeth and gums better?

I didn't need to reply.

I went home and immediately got the Oral B on ebay for $34.95 (it sells at my local drug store for $129.00

Is that a deal or what??

Best investment I ever made.

Comes with two brush heads.

Me and hubby are happily brushing away.

Comes with a tongue cleaner, and a polisher.

All kinds of neat stuff.

Best thing I ever did.

Just wanted to share.

Melody
 
Hello, may I add some info also? I have the same brand as Melody. I purchased mine also from ebay for just a bit cheaper than she did (LOL.. had to dig that in). I also rave about it. I can't say much more than everyone else here except that I have 5 people in this house. Brush head expense was a big question for me. In the stores here they run about $19.99 for a pack of 3 (in the USA). On ebay, I purchased 3 packages (9 in all) for $19.99. They vary in price on ebay. Xtra soft I believe was $14 for 9. Regular heads were $15 for 9 & the dual action ones (my husbands fav) was the one for $19.99. So, I purchased enough from one buyer to save on shipping & I have enough brush heads for everyone in the household for the next 2 years.

If you are able to, ebay is the best place to purchase!
 
Wow, you got it cheaper than $34.95.

good for youi!!!!!


Go.....E B A Y

You can really save money on that site.

I actually think that I would have gone to my drug store and purchased it for $129.and change. My husband would have killed me but what my dentist says is VERY important to me. I love my new dentist. He's a phobia specialist and I wouldn't go to anybody else.

So happy brushing people!!!!

Love Melody
 
Back
Top