• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Emergency dental work after severe pain, need to understand what they done

J

Jadev

Hi,
i am an anxiety sufferer, diagnosed with severe anxiety and panic attacks a few years ago. Long story short.... 6 months ago i had a routine x-ray at my dentist and was told i had high decay in my side top tooth, so me being brave, i let him do the work which was a filling he said. I asked for a white filling which he called a composite and i had an impression taken, then went back a week later and had the white composite fitted. All was ok for a wk, then i had mega sensitivity that came and went. A month ago (6 months after the filling) i was eating an ice lolly and had mega shooting pains, ever since that night, my tooth pain hasn't gone. I tried to put off the Dentist and took pain killers but 2 weeks ago it got so severe that i had to go and see someone.
i saw my dentist and they suggested extraction or root canal, i said extraction as long as they could sedate me due to my anxiety, they said they'd refer me as it wasn't done in my practice. So, in the mean time the pain got so severe that no pain killers were working so i made emergency appointment, my dentist had computer and compressor problems so they weren't able to help me. Yesterday i managed to get appointment at Hospital where i explained everything and the Dentist said she'd take the nerve out and clean the area. I was only in there for approx 15-20 minutes and she finished with a temp filling and just told me to wait for my extraction appointment to come through. Last night was amazing, i slept for the first time in 4 weeks but today the pain is back, not as bad as it was before but I am so anxious that it is going to get worse and worse.
Can anyone please tell me what the Dentist actually done yesterday and if i still need to have my tooth extracted? It took everything out of me to get myself to that appointment yesterday, i cried all the night before and ended up with a headache from hell. My breathing was so erratic, i was sweating and getting pins and needles down my arms. I have rang my dentist today to get an appointment and speak to someone about the next step but their computers are still down and i was told to ring back on Monday. I have also rang for another Dentist! Mine are awful.
sorry for the mega essay but thought it best to put everything for the hope of a proper answer.
many thanks in advance xxxx

Re: Emergency dental work after severe pain, need to understand what they done

I am not a dentist but based on your issue and the time it took it sounds to me like the ER dentist did a pulpotomy.
These are done on children as a baby root canal and for emergency situations when a root canal is needed but you can't get to the dentist soon enough.

Re: Emergency dental work after severe pain, need to understand what they done

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. This sounds about right. I have this morning managed to find a new NHS dentist and I have an appointment on Monday. My anxiety is ok because it's just a consultation as it's my first time there. I still have pain in my gum but this may be where they injected it and pain when i bite, no where near as bad as it was though!
thank you :)

Back