• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extracting a Root Canalled Tooth... restless mind

D

DancingK

Junior member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
6
I posted a week or so ago about my crown which had fallen out.

I had my appointment today at a new dentist and was told the tooth would have to be pulled.

It's a very back bottom tooth, it's had root canal treatment and and a crown (which has fallen off) it's also broken so it's basically half an open tooth.

Without scaring me, can anyone tell me what to expect for the extraction procedure?

I have 2 weeks of worrying now until it's removed, which I know is silly but I'd just like to know it doesn't hurt and it only takes a few seconds :p!
 
Typically the dentist will open the gum and cut the tooth into two halves. This allows the tooth tobe removed in pieces with less trauma than trying to get the whole thing out at the same time which often results in it fracturing apart. Some dentists will also use an ultrasonic bone cutter to loosen the tooth from it's attachment to bone which is a wonderful instrument but not widely avaliable.
 
I had a back molar extracted recently and the dentist did not have to cut my gum. It was removed very easily - I don't know what tool he used but he described it as 'filleting' the tooth out. Hope it goes well :)
 
I had a back molar extracted recently and the dentist did not have to cut my gum. It was removed very easily - I don't know what tool he used but he described it as 'filleting' the tooth out. Hope it goes well :)

Thank You... I read this last night and had it out this morning, put my mind at ease and it was yet again another easy process.

For anyone else nervous like I was, I asked the dentist to use topical gel on my gum before the injection (simply numbs the area before injection).
Dentist used three injections, none were painful.
The extraction took about 10 seconds, probably less... it was a simple two movements and it was out (that's on a root canalled tooth).

All in all the whole appointment was around 10 minutes and I'd say most of that was waiting for the numbness to set in.

Happy patient, glad it's over with [smiley=jumping.gif]
 
Back
Top