• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extracting decayed teeth with crowns

A

Anne2021

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I have a question. I have had five teeth removed over the last twelve years, besides my wisdom teeth when I was young. I now need my lower right molars (30 and 31) removed. They have had crowns on them for 21 years and my dentist says they show such extensive decay on the x-rays that he would not even recommend root canal. They must come out. I am concerned about how much more difficult the extractions will be. None of the others that I had removed had crowns on them. How will the oral surgeon even go about it? Will he have to cut through the crowns first somehow to get them off? If the decay is as bad as the dentist says, will there be anything for the oral surgeon to grab hold of to pull? Every dental thing I do is very difficult with my severe phobia, but in the past I have found extraction quick with oral surgeons compared to fillings and crowns, but this scares me a lot. I'm also scared about having to do two at once, but I don't want to get local anesthetic twice so I don't want to try to space it out. Any help?

I had an infected root canal tooth number 30 pulled 2 months ago. They will pull the crown off with pliers. I think the older the cement in the crown the easier it is. But it just came off no pain whatsoever with pulling feel only. Then loosen tooth in socket and pull. Mine was quick 5 to 10 mins.

In terms of two, yes its worrisome, but why let one heal then possibly damage the area next door during the next pull. You are smart doing it at once like wisdom teeth.

I am going to replace tooth 30 with an implant so I had a bone graft at the same time in addition to the extraction. I am 2 months waiting and healing. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Wouldn't bother removing the crowns at all, they'll come out attached to the teeth or else possibly fall off during the extraction. From the patient's point of view it's just the same as a regular extraction.

I had an infected root canal tooth number 30 pulled 2 months ago. They will pull the crown off with pliers. I think the older the cement in the crown the easier it is. But it just came off no pain whatsoever with pulling feel only. Then loosen tooth in socket and pull. Mine was quick 5 to 10 mins.

In terms of two, yes its worrisome, but why let one heal then possibly damage the area next door during the next pull. You are smart doing it at once like wisdom teeth.

I am going to replace tooth 30 with an implant so I had a bone graft at the same time in addition to the extraction. I am 2 months waiting and healing. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Thank you so much for your reply, 39male. I'm glad for you that you are making progress. I will surely be out here some more as I work up the courage to move forward. Right now I am frozen and not making the next appointment - trying to work up to that. I miss the days of my youth when I had no dental fear. Ugh.

Wouldn't bother removing the crowns at all, they'll come out attached to the teeth or else possibly fall off during the extraction. From the patient's point of view it's just the same as a regular extraction.

Thank you for this response, Gordon. That helps.

Back