• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction yesterday, in a lot of pain, is this normal?

S

sharon

Last November I had an extraction and bonegraft on #10, it was amazingly easy from start to finish and I had very little pain afterwards. Yesterday I had the same thing on #31 and I am in agony. This one was more difficult as one of the roots was "shattered" so there was a lot of digging around. I'm not only in a lot of pain but also very, very swollen; with #10 I had no swelling. What's going on? Why the big difference? Will I ever feel better? I have a prescription at the drug store for something should I need it, but I'm in the northeast and have 2 feet of snow out there to shovel plus all that hard stuff the snow plows so generously leave at the foot of my driveway. The thought of shoveling isn't helping things either. It hurts, hurts, hurts. I am getting some relief from aspirin but not 100%

To make matters worse, I'm scheduled to have an implant put into #4 next Thursday and am so dreading the thought of having more pain in my mouth. Then in another 3-4 months I can have 2 more implants put in!!!

Any idea when I can expect this tooth to feel better?

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this!

I've had that kind of pain after (impacted) wisdom tooth extractions. You can take ibuprofen (up to 800mg) and Tylenol (up to 1000mg) 3 times a day as long as you're ok medically to do so (check with your doctor). I alternate taking one or the other every 4 hours to get good pain relief - the most difficult part about that kind of pain is getting it under control the first time. I don't take prescription pain meds so this regimen is my go-to. You might try some ice for the swelling.

I'm in the northeast too... so I know what you're dealing with in terms of snow :(

I hope you feel better soon!

Not sure in USA but in Canada Tylenol #1 with codeine is OTC. Over the counter. You can take two of those with a Motrin 400 mg and it works quite well. If not Tylenol 1 then maybe you can get codeine cough syrup and you can take that with motrin.

I had one top out yesterday and had a lot of pain in the day and through the night....I am using Tylenol 3 with codeine..I'm sure u will need some sort of pain killing med for a day or 2 till it settles down

In the US codeine (in any form) is by prescription only.

Wow, you can really get codeine otc in Canada? I didn't know that. I stay away from strong stuff if I can, I don't like the way it makes my mind feel and also I am afraid it will give me nausea. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't make it to the drug store yesterday.

The pain is actually much better now, aspirin is helping a lot, ibuprofen isn't though, so I'm sticking with just aspirin. I do feel totally washed out, kind of the way you feel when you are just about done with having influenza. super tired and still achy and still feeling like you will never get well.

While I'm not really glad to know that others have had similar pain, I'm glad to know it is normal. I am still very swollen, bad me - I didn't use the ice pack they gave me.

To those of you in the NE US, wasn't that storm something!!! My neighbor across the street came over and snow blowed the end of my driveway, I am so grateful to him, he wouldn't even take money for that, what a blessing he was. The rest of the driveway and sidewalk was doable.

I'm really dreading going through more surgery next week, though I know I'm not the first to have to do this.

Back