• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

extreme dental anxiety since wisdom tooth removal

B

bonnieb

Hi everyone,

I had a wisdom tooth out last year - unfortunately got dry socket, and then another infection.
All good now but ever since I have become very anxious constantly about my teeth.
It is constantly on my mind and I am convinced I have gum disease / will loose my teeth even though my latest check up was all normal.

I recently started flossing - and my gums around two teeth have become very red, and a little puffy. No pain but they look very irritated - the rest of my teeth and gums are fine.

Does this mean there is something wrong with the tooth? Or have I just hurt the gum flossing?
Is it normal when you start flossing for just one or two gums around certain teeth to become inflamed?
It was quite a hard spot to get through so I could have snapped it in the gum but I dont really remember any pain at the time.

Thanks for listening :)

You say you had a check-up recently. Did you also see a hygienist? If not might I suggest you ask to see one, so they can show you how to floss correctly, maybe do a cleaning and allay any fears re the redness/puffiness of your gums.

As brit said, it's a good idea to schedule a check up when you have new symptoms. :)

Also your anxiety over your teeth is not something you should have to live with. Do you get anxious over other things or just this? I often recommend counselling when people get anxiety complexes over their teeth - it might help you. These things left unchecked can turn into obsessions that impact your daily life. It's often a form of health anxiety (hypochondria), which can appear after a recent worrying period with our health. Don't feel like you have to suffer this alone :hug4:

Back