• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extreme pain after having extraction site cleaned

  • Thread starter Thread starter anxietyfort
  • Start date Start date
A

anxietyfort

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
30
Location
Atlanta, GA
Today I went and saw my oral surgeon after experiencing a lot of pain and leakage a week after an extraction. He looked at the site and said it wasn't looking good at all and took me back into surgery again to open up the area and clean it all out. He then stitched me back up and sent me on my way. I was numb and fine until about 8 hours afterwards and I have now been up all night in excruciating pain. I tried taking ibuprofen, didn't touch the pain. I tried taking 2.5mg of Oxycodone, hasn't touched the pain at all and only made my stomach upset (I took it with food even!). I didn't have this much pain before going in! It is very intense. I wasnt even in this amount of pain after the surgery.

Any clues as to what may have caused this pain? Would it be dry socket or just trauma from having to clean it all out? I can barely move this pain is so intense. Every now and then I get about 5 minutes of relief, but then all the sudden the pain is back for long periods of time. Is there anything I can do to make it bearable?
 
call and see oral surgeon. If need be he can even block you for 10+ hours of pain relief. He might want to give you something to take with the oxycodone and increase the doasge because 2.5mg is a light dose. Usually the worse pain is first day and then improves some.
 
While it still hurts like crazy, it has gone down in pain level slightly and is a ya more bearable. I guess I should have stayed ahead of the pain before the block wore off but I didn't know it was going to be this bad...
 
Remembering the absolutely EXCRUTIATING agony I felt when an extraction site's packing was removed (quickly, thank god) and replaced. If that's the kinda pain you're dealing with, I can only pray that it's getting better. Hope you at least called the surgeon...and maybe got some stronger Rx?
In the end, you got that troublesome wizzie out, so the future should be much, much better. Hang in there, and be good to yourself til this passes.
 
It was quite excruciating. It was even pretty bad today... The 2.5mg oxy seems to do fine now. 2.5mg of oxy makes me feel super loopy, so I don't really like going any higher. If I take 2.5mg of the oxycodone every 4 hours and then take 2 200mg Ibuprofen even 4-6 hours, it's not bad at all... Right now I'm fairly comfortable. I just need to stay on top of it. I tend to forget to take the meds when I get busy and then that pain starts to set back in.
 
if you are in pain take the meds by the clock NOT by the symptoms.
 
Back
Top