• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Failed Wisdom Teeth Extraction

G

Godfang

So, I noticed a while ago that my lower wisdom teeth (which are both slanted) are changing in colour, so I went to the dentist and was told that they had cavities, thus extraction was recommended, one at a time. The first surgery took almost two hours (with the local anasthetics wearing off in the later part and I was in great pain), but even after that, the teeth did not budge, so we took panoramic pictures, and the dentist decided that he didn't cut deep enough (the bottom part of the teeth was still stuck/impacted against the adjacent teeth).

The second time, he cuts the top part all the way and tried pulling again, but once more it didn't budge, and after an hour I was again in pain so he stopped. He suggests I wait a month or two to see if the remaining root would push out by itself, so now I wait, but sometimes I get headaches (which may or may not be related to the teeth issue)

I'm really worried that we're missing something, something that's causing my teeth to be harder to pull out and that forcibly pulling it out may cause some irrepairable damage (nerve, bone, etc). I'm getting a second opinion soon, but in the meantime, I constantly fret because most of my friends, even the ones with impacted wisdom tooth, said it was not supposed to take hours to pull it out

I may be wrong, but it sounds like most of the tooth is out and that you have a retained root? If that's the case, the same thing happened to me. The roots have been there (left during the extraction) for about 8 years. I've had absolutely no issues and don't expect to.

Best of luck to you!

I don't think most of it is out, he cut off the top only and tried to pull off the rest, but failed, so i'm supposed to come back to him in a month or two so he can finish the extraction. We'll have to wait and see, but reading around in this forum, I'm feeling slightly better because it seems that the root doesn't always have to be taken out completely (which was my biggest fear cause I was afraid it might cause damage to my jaw or nerves due to how painful it was last time) so here's hoping

Back