• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of all things dentistry!

G

geetee49

Hi everyone,thank you for letting me join this group,I am so glad I have found it! I have a fear,not of the needle or the drill but a fear of the sensation when I get the jag..it makes me feel like I can't breathe and my throat is going to close. I get myself jnto a state and start taking panic attacks and cry and just make a complete idiot of myself. My fear is so bad that just have not visited a dentist in years and most of my teeth have fallen out since being pregnant with my daughter 17yrs ago..I am so embarrassed and hardly go out, don't smile so much and cover my mouth when i talk. I have finally taken the leap after a particularly bad episode of toothache and I have an appointment in March which I am dreading! I am going to ask to have all my teeth out. Has anyone else had this done and does anyone else share my fear?

I absolutely share your fear! I fear just about everything about it, but the worst part of it for me is the sensation of being numb. I feel just like you said, like I can't breathe, like my throat is closing, and like everything is swelling. I have avoided the dentist a lot for years and I am losing teeth because of it. I have lost six and two more come out on 2/16. After that I will only have two molars left and a total of 20 teeth left. I do not want to go and anxiety is increasing. I am finally at the point, though, where I am trying to move forward and save what I have left.

My mother did voluntarily choose to have all of her teeth removed when she was 39 or 40. I don't know how bad her teeth were, but she couldn't take the fear of the dental visits anymore. How many teeth do you have left?

As far as the numbing, for the last tooth I had out in December when it was urgent, I asked the oral surgeon if someone could stay in the room with me while the numbing was taking effect. His receptionist stayed and chatted about Christmas and her family and asked me small-talk questions and it made all the difference in the world. I don't know if they can do that this time, but I will probably ask. I hope these are the last teeth I lose for a while. How did yours fall out? I've never had a tooth just come out on its own.

Oh - also, I don't get the numbing topical gel because that makes my whole throat numb if it gets down my throat. I just say no to that. I also can't stand sore throat lozenges or sprays so I don't use those if I get a sore throat either.

Hi! Welcome. I’m glad you’re here.

I’m also glad you posted. That is a big step. We’re only as sick as our secrets.

I’m not a dentist, so I can’t say if they’ll pull all your teeth, but I am very confident your situation will turn around quickly.

I encourage you to imagine what life will be like on the other side of this: laughing spontaneously, eating wonderfully cold and point foods (especially tortilla chips!).

They say that a person with a “why” can endure any “how”; in other words if you know why you’re doing this, then the “how” becomes a little easier.

That said, please do keep us posted. I’m excited for you.

@Anne2021 my mum also had her teeth removed when she was pregnant with me,and she was only 19yrs old at the Time! I only have 6 teeth left..I'm so embarrassed to even write that! I have been using fake teeth for my upper half for a while bit it's time to get my mouth sorted,I'm 50 this year!

@geetee49 I can understand why you would want to pull the rest with six teeth left. You said, "It's time to get my mouth sorted..." That's how I feel. I'm 52 and this is the year. You can do this. If I can, you can, because I'm the biggest dental work chicken I know. Keep us posted please.

Back