• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of anesthetics all of them ..cancelled appointment from anxiety attack

A

aliciajune

I have had dental work before and have had novacaine or lidocaine whatever they use and I never really had anything horrible happen because of it but yet I can't seem to get this irrational fear out of my head of having a bad reaction to it, I hate the way it feels I get so panicked I think my throat is closing I cant breath. I also wont let them knock me out so Im in a bit of a sticky wicket. I really need to get through this . Whats the probablity of having a bad reaction if you have never had one before. I know this is so silly but Im sure someone can understand. Im so down and disappointed in myself right now

Last edited:
Re: Fear of anesthetics all of them ..cancelled appointment from anxiety attack

hi im new on ere and im shit scared of the dentist,Iv not bin in a while and im very disappointed in myself 2 and down in the dumps...Im scared of it all..going ther,talkin sum1 bout my fears,avin xrays done then avin treatment done.I get so upset i jus cry at times..Iv never really spoke bout my fears 2 any1 but i joined on ere few days go and bin reading ppl,s stories and even picking courage up 2 mail them a message..I no iv got pick the phone up 2 make appt 4 dentist...GOD IM JUST SO SO PERTIFIED !!!!..

hi im new on ere and im shit scared of the dentist,Iv not bin in a while and im very disappointed in myself 2 and down in the dumps...Im scared of it all..going ther,talkin sum1 bout my fears,avin xrays done then avin treatment done.I get so upset i jus cry at times..Iv never really spoke bout my fears 2 any1 but i joined on ere few days go and bin reading ppl,s stories and even picking courage up 2 mail them a message..I no iv got pick the phone up 2 make appt 4 dentist...GOD IM JUST SO SO PERTIFIED !!!!..

I truly understand how you feel phobia are NOT fun maybe some kind soul can help us both

I have had dental work before and have had novacaine or lidocaine whatever they use and I never really had anything horrible happen because of it but yet I can't seem to get this irrational fear out of my head of having a bad reaction to it, I hate the way it feels I get so panicked I think my throat is closing I cant breath. I also wont let them knock me out so Im in a bit of a sticky wicket. I really need to get through this . Whats the probablity of having a bad reaction if you have never had one before. I know this is so silly but Im sure someone can understand. Im so down and disappointed in myself right now

Welcome :welcome:

Since you have already received local anaesthetic and nothing untoward has happened. Your risk for a bad reaction must be zero I would have thought. Also virtually nobody is allergic to Local anaesthetic. A few people are allergic to the preservatives used in them but that is it. This doesn't apply in your case (It is very very rare so I wouldn't expect it to) since you have already received them and been fine.
Imagine how painful dentistry would be without local anesthetic :o. Being knocked out isn't a solution really as in the case of i/v sedation they would also use local anaesthetic alongside.

You have nothing to worry about. Your dentist should be able to reassure you on this score though and win your confidence and trust. It sounds like you do not enjoy the numbness sensation - there's some info here about that: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/feeling-numb/

It may also help to find a dentist using STA (single tooth anaesthesia) with TheWand as that way the numbing sensation (which some of us love actually) can be kept to a smaller area.
Your throat does not close up and nothing swells - it just feels that way.
Loss of control may also be an issue for you: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/loss-of-control/

There is also a product called oraverse which can be injected at the end of a procedure to make the numbing wear off faster but personally I'd rather have the benefit of the on-going lack of post-operative discomfort.

Last edited:

STA can also be done wit a pdl syringe. I ave one patient who wants me to sedate her so that when she comes around she doesn't feel numb.

STA can also be done wit a pdl syringe. I ave one patient who wants me to sedate her so that when she comes around she doesn't feel numb.

Can they do that on the bottom teeth? If they only numbed one tooth Im sure I would feel far less anxious :) thank you

Hi AliciaJune - this part of treatment bothers me as well.When I was younger I opted for fillings without any anaesthetic rather than have the numb feeling. I havent feared a reaction to it (I do think that highly un-likely if you have had it before) I fear it not wearing off but generally the numbness.

Well I couldnt get away with having none for some work and I am now used to it, after the initial injection I allow myself a little time to get used to the feeling and from there on I imagine that it will be wearing off!! Strange maybe but the idea it wont get "worse" helps me somehow, the moment it all comes too again is a nice one and the fact you cant feel anything during treatment is of course wonderful:)

You really are safe with it the links about explain it all really clearly and helped me get things into perspective. :)

I made another appointment for next week but I decided I would get a filling in a upper tooth first to ease myself into this and get to know this dentist.. I think by doing this I can maybe desensitize myself a bit. I dont like when my phobias win out . :censored:

That sounds like a really great plan and from my experience it does help to take small steps and keep taking them to overcome and keep a fear in check - good for you for taking charge :)

Can they do that on the bottom teeth? If they only numbed one tooth Im sure I would feel far less anxious :) thank you

Yes I do it every day!

I'm tagging on to this thread, as the OP wrote about exactly my own fears/phobia.

The following posts have also given me positive ways to rationalise the fear, they were so helpful to read.

However, can I add two questions please, for some kind person to respond to ?

If you did have a severe reaction (albeit vanishingly small possibility of one) how would this be dealt with ?

Is it possible for a dentist to psychologically desensitise you to the medication, with a really small dose to 'prove' that there is no reaction. Or is this something that they would not do ?

TIA

I don't know if they can give you little bits to get you used to it. I suppose a sympathetic dentist would. If you don't like being frozen I have found these days it wears off quicker than it used to. Also if I get fed up with it I wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and hold that on my face. It seems to speed up the thawing process. I don't mind being numb, the number the better, but I understand your fears because if it gets my tongue or my throat I'm not so keen and I have to concentrate not to have a panic attack. I just thought this tip might help.

Back