• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of the Anethesia Used

D

Dental Fright

Hello! I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice.

I have always had poor teeth....was on well water when I was a child & I loved sugar (still do).

When I got my braces off at 14, my teeth were full of holes - I believe I had 14 cavities, most in the front & side teeth.

After years of being a guinea pig for the bonding, which was just becoming popular at the time, my teeth have continued to need continuous work. Filling, sorry, crown needed, sorry need root canal, oops, root canal failed. Pull tooth and put bridge in.......needless to say, I have been fighting dental fear all along the way. I am now 46 years old.

Now my front tooth, which had the most bonding applied has a cavity in the back.

My problem is that I have other health problems that include anxiety & IBS & indigestion.

When I think about going to have this tooth filled, which should be relatively simple, I just can't get past the fear......the biggest problem I have is the actual anesthesia. I can't use the mask. About 15 minutes after I get the shot (I always request the kind without epi), I start getting hot, which mimics or adds to the anxiety. I am really sensitive to medicines, etc...Since I know this going to happen, I've been avoiding making the appt, which I know I need.

Also, when the dentist makes that final tip back on the chair, that seems to add to the anxiety.

So, my question is this, am I having some kind of freaky reaction to the medicine in the shot? What is the safest anethesia that does not include epi & can I make a request from my dentist for that certain type?
Also, I have read about the mouth guard which is suppose to deaden the mouth without medicine? Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks All!

Hello! I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice.

I have always had poor teeth....was on well water when I was a child & I loved sugar (still do).

When I got my braces off at 14, my teeth were full of holes - I believe I had 14 cavities, most in the front & side teeth.

After years of being a guinea pig for the bonding, which was just becoming popular at the time, my teeth have continued to need continuous work. Filling, sorry, crown needed, sorry need root canal, oops, root canal failed. Pull tooth and put bridge in.......needless to say, I have been fighting dental fear all along the way. I am now 46 years old.

Now my front tooth, which had the most bonding applied has a cavity in the back.

My problem is that I have other health problems that include anxiety & IBS & indigestion.

When I think about going to have this tooth filled, which should be relatively simple, I just can't get past the fear......the biggest problem I have is the actual anesthesia. I can't use the mask. About 15 minutes after I get the shot (I always request the kind without epi), I start getting hot, which mimics or adds to the anxiety. I am really sensitive to medicines, etc...Since I know this going to happen, I've been avoiding making the appt, which I know I need.

Also, when the dentist makes that final tip back on the chair, that seems to add to the anxiety.

So, my question is this, am I having some kind of freaky reaction to the medicine in the shot? What is the safest anethesia that does not include epi & can I make a request from my dentist for that certain type?
Also, I have read about the mouth guard which is suppose to deaden the mouth without medicine? Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks All!

Hi there,

I'm 64 and had some pretty bad prior experiences. I had four extractions of molars (not wisdom teeth) before I was 18, and had my first root canal at 20 when I was a months pregnant with my first. Later had a mouthful of amalgam fillings, then 15 years ago replaced all those with composite bonding (white fillings).

This past Tuesday I had one of my wisdom teeth extracted and it had a huge cavity (had previously been filled 15 years ago), a bone graft, membrane and stitches. Suffice it to ay I was a basket case two months before finally making that appointment for this procedure and Monday night I was in major panic attack mode!

I posted a lot of questions on this forum and my big fears were the medications. I was sure I was going to have nerve damage, bad reactions, fainting, you name it.

Anyway, I had oral sedation and highly recommend it because without it I would have panicked. The pills given worked VERY fast. I woke up in a panic to the point of feeling sick on Tuesday morning, and 15 minutes after taking a Halcion I pretty much floated into the office slightly apprehensive but not panicky. After the second pill, I was not all happy but no panic and got through it. The injections were well tolerated. I worried about nerve damage and the anesthesia not wearing off but it wore off just fine in about 4 hours, and the med used was Articane which the internet talks about being the most risky.

Anyway, I got through it. Yes I am still sore and will be glad to be all healed up, but know I have more procedures ahead of me.

I have indigestion because I'm still on antibiotics and no taking some probiotics.

Believe me I share your worries and fears. Many of us here do. But I would suggest asking for some kind of sedation to get you into the chair and then the rest will go by fairly quick and you will be on your road to recovery.

All my best.

Alice :)

Back