I wish I could skip the polishing, but they won't let me, because I get alot of plaque and tarter built up stains on my teeth I'm diabetic type 1, I don't smoke, I do bleed sometimes I think it has something to do with my diabetes, I will try headphones I usually don't like things in my ears because I have an implant in my ears. The reason I will never switch to another hygienist is the one I have is very sweet, tries to be gentle, but with me when you have that plaque and tarter built up but with ultra sonic scaler and hand scaling I do get scared that the fact she might rip my gums open and even with the polishing, I doesn't hurt me, it is just frightening to me especially when you have a retractor in your mouth I have one picture of me from my last dental visit should I send it to you