• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feel like giving up

W

Wolfsrule18

I’ve been on a long dental journey to repair my teeth over the past year and a half. First having 22 teeth removed, then capping and filling the remaining 10. Then having surgery to place 10 implants and on February 27th I’m getting the implants. However throughout all this I’m still getting cavities and abscesses. Today while eating no different then I have before..one of my three remaining bottom teeth cracked. I can’t get it fixed right now either. I’ve been brushing and using mouthwash EVERY day. Yet my teeth still act like they did when I neglected them. I feel so done. So out of hope...I feel I’m either just gonna lose all my teeth or be plagued by dental issues forever. I’m doing everything I can but it’s never enough......what’s the point?

Wolfsrule,

I'm so sorry abuot your tooth getting cracked today... after all you have done , it is not a good feeling at all when this happens.. You have invested so much time, energy, money into fixing and then one more thing happens.. it is disheartening.. and you are sooo close to the implants! so close.. You are definately strong and resiliant..You are certainly doing everything you possibly can and are inspiration to many in doing so! I hope that tooth isn't so bad and can hang in there for you somehow? does it hurt?

I really know that feeling,hang in there maybe you'll feel differently once the implants are placed.

Wolfsrule,

I'm so sorry abuot your tooth getting cracked today... after all you have done , it is not a good feeling at all when this happens.. You have invested so much time, energy, money into fixing and then one more thing happens.. it is disheartening.. and you are sooo close to the implants! so close.. You are definately strong and resiliant..You are certainly doing everything you possibly can and are inspiration to many in doing so! I hope that tooth isn't so bad and can hang in there for you somehow? does it hurt?

Thankfully no it does not hurt. I was able to make an appointment for next Friday so only one week...I really hope this crack doesn’t get worse before then..I have to fly Wednesday and that makes me incredibly nervous.

I 'm glad it doesn't hurt and hope it hangs in there.. glad you can get in next Friday!

Sorry to read about your tooth :( I understand your anxiety and the overwhelm, this would make everyone feel hopeless, especially as you take care of your teeth diligently... while this is certainly very very bad news and I wished this wouldn't have happened, it is good to keep in mind that it's not a proof for all your remaining teeth getting damaged in the future. It could be the last tooth that ever got a problem or it could be that you will need further work in the future. The fact is that you can't know right now.
Hope you will be able to get help for the tooth as soon as possible and an explanation of why this happened and hopefully get an advice about how to prevent it in the future. If you feel your dentist is not helpful when it comes to preventing dental problems, it might be a good idea to get a second opinion.
All the best wishes and keep us posted.

Hi,

Sorry to read about the difficulties you are facing. There is a great difference between the end intermediate stages along the treatment plan and the end result. Going through the dental treatment plan can be frustrating because you encounter so many changes in the mouth and lots of complications. Please understand that the intermediate complications do not predict anything about the end result.
In my view, the most important thing is that your dentist supports you along the road: being accessible for questions, offering treatments for emergencies, trying to improve your quality of life during this path of treatments. Is your dentist this way or do you need to deal on your own with this?

Been having issues eating and was able to bump my appointment up to today. Feeling rather nervous...I hope some filling is all that’s needed.

Wolfsrule.
I'm glad you were able to get in today, the worst part is before you walk in the door. I hope they are able to put you to ease quickly and help you with this in a really kind way and will hope with you for the filling! Let us know how it goes. :grouphug:

I’m here now. Waiting to be called back. My heart is pounding...I hope this goes well!

Well crap.
I need a crown on the tooth. I will be coming back tomorrow to get a buildup done just so I can eat on that side till I can get a crown later this week.
I’m so frustrated at this point...it’s exhausting trying to fix everything when it keeps falling apart. I had a long talk with the hygienist on how to try and prevent this in the future.

UPDATE: I’ve decided to cancel tomorrow’s appointment and seek a second opinion on Friday. I want to make 100% sure I need a crown before I end up doing something I can’t turn back on to my last bottom tooth. (Other 2 already have crowns) the dentist even said it was a tiny chip and it was only the decay underneath that made him decide on a crown. I’ll stick it out for 3 more days and see if the dentists agree.

If you don't feel a peace about it and have only one opinion this is a wise thing to do and great self care!!

Well done, Wolfsrule. First of all for going in, secondly for having a chat with your hygienist about what you can do in the future and also for getting a second opinion. It sounds like you are in control of things as much as you can and are about to plan things carefully. As krlovesherkids suggests, that's really good self-care. Hope the second dentist has a better solution for you.

Well got my second opinion today and same thing. Root canal and crown. Getting over a cold right now so dentist said to wait till I was feeling better but get it done sooner rather then later. He gave me some prescription strength fluoride toothpaste. I think he could tell I was upset (I was trying not to cry) because he encouraged me by saying it’s just a speed bump in the road, it will be taken care of and I’ll be okay. I really appreciated that. I guess here goes nothing.

Hope you get over your cold quick and feel better Wolfsrule, also, I'm glad it seems hes a little sensitive to you and encouraging and reassuring those are all such good signs he will take good care of you. Even when the news isn't what we want to hear a good chairside manner does help a lot. I hope all goes well for you with the root canal and crown! :grouphug:

I am feeling as hopeless as you describe. Going through a horrible period where crowns are failing and recently two infections and now extractions and possibly more due to the infections. Like you, I take super care and know there is little I can do about the failure of these old restorations and little I can do to change the fact that I don’t want to loose more teeth or get a denture. I find it super hard not to think more is to come and never stop, in the midst of this my anxiety makes it hard to carry on, trust the dentist and overall feel comfortable. Reading how you went and got two opinions and worked through your current issue was helpful. Building positive experiences must help, but I do empathise with the wanting to give up. This morning I felt like running away and never seeing the dentist again, which isn’t realistic if I want to get out of this current cycle, wishing you well

Back