• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling of pressure on upper left jaw but no pain....

L

Lis

I don't know if I'm being a little hysterical or not since I had my upper right wisdom tooth taken out nearly three weeks ago now but for a few days now, I have been feeling a pressure on my upper right jaw around my second premolar. There's not really any pain, it just feels almost like something is constantly touching that area. There is no pain in my actual teeth and I have no sensitivity to brushing my teeth or eating and drinking. I also feel almost like I have something caught in that area but I cannot see anything (I have also had a family member look with a dental mirror and they couldn't see anything either and think everything looks fine)
Could this be a sinus issue( it is allergy season after all) or some other kind of under lying issue? I'd hate to go to the dentist hysterical over what turns out to be nothing but I also don't want to let a potential issue get worse either.

If it's worrying you that much, your dentist will be happy to look at it for you. Have you tried gently flossing the area?

No but what’s weird is when I went to lay down to go to sleep last night, I felt that pressure shift away from that area. Even getting up today, the pressure is not feeling as bad but I do have a bit of a sinus headache so I’m wondering if that’s what I was feeling?

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so I think I may have them rule out a sinus or allergy issues and then see if I can get into the dentist.

Sinus infections can very often mimic dental problems in the upper jaw, clearing when you lie down is a bit of a sinus symptom.

Yeah I went to the doctor today and it looks to be some kind of sinus infection and she’s putting me on antibiotics. So relieved it doesn’t look to be a tooth infection. :)

Yeah I went to the doctor today and it looks to be some kind of sinus infection and she’s putting me on antibiotics. So relieved it doesn’t look to be a tooth infection. :)
Hi Lis, I’m just wondering if your problem has been sorted now after your antibiotics? I’ve been having the exact same symptoms as you appeared to have and it’s been going on for nearly a year. It’s driving me insane as nobody has ever been able to tell me what it is despite visiting my dentist & doctor numerous times. Would really appreciate an update if your antibiotics sorted it for you. TIA x

Hi Lis, I’m just wondering if your problem has been sorted now after your antibiotics? I’ve been having the exact same symptoms as you appeared to have and it’s been going on for nearly a year. It’s driving me insane as nobody has ever been able to tell me what it is despite visiting my dentist & doctor numerous times. Would really appreciate an update if your antibiotics sorted it for you. TIA x
Hi Oli
So no my antibiotics did not sort anything out for me. Actually the first antibiotic prescribed to me made me sick so I was put on another one that usually works for me and the symptoms remained. However, I began to realize the pressure I was feeling really only got worse after I had taken the flonase prescribed to me for allergies so I stopped taking the flonase and the symptoms really began to lessen.

I did go to my dentist to confirm everything was okay with my teeth. X-rays and examination confirmed all was good but they did show me how low my sinuses ran in my upper jaw so the consensus was it was an allergy/flonase issue and now that I have both upper wisdom teeth out, I'm feeling things a bit differently. Since then, I still sometimes get the pressure feeling but it has not been bad.

I wish you the best! Trust me, there were times the pressure drove me insane. Not sure if you have allergy issues but maybe that's what is going on with you too?

Hi Oli
So no my antibiotics did not sort anything out for me. Actually the first antibiotic prescribed to me made me sick so I was put on another one that usually works for me and the symptoms remained. However, I began to realize the pressure I was feeling really only got worse after I had taken the flonase prescribed to me for allergies so I stopped taking the flonase and the symptoms really began to lessen.

I did go to my dentist to confirm everything was okay with my teeth. X-rays and examination confirmed all was good but they did show me how low my sinuses ran in my upper jaw so the consensus was it was an allergy/flonase issue and now that I have both upper wisdom teeth out, I'm feeling things a bit differently. Since then, I still sometimes get the pressure feeling but it has not been bad.

I wish you the best! Trust me, there were times the pressure drove me insane. Not sure if you have allergy issues but maybe that's what is going on with you too?
Hi Lis,
Thank you for replying, I appreciate it!
I’m glad yours isn’t causing you too much bother now. I’ve seen so many doctors / dentists / scans about this now I’ve kinda given up hope it’ll ever get any better. It’s comforting knowing that someone else has had the same thing though, makes me feel a little less insane! And yours has settled down so hopefully mine may too.
Thanks again,
Olivia

Back