• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling sick?

F

fromyesterday

I went for a cleaning today and as an area of my mouth was sensitive the person doing the cleaning numbed it with the gel stuff and then did the needle. I've had that done before with no problems. This time, though, I did swallow a little bit of the minty gel, but I figured I'd be fine since I don't mind mint. Nope. :( Right after the area got numb I felt my mouth fill with saliva and for a while there I felt like I was going to throw up. Not a good feeling for someone who is an emetophobe :( (fear of vomiting).

What happened? It was an afternoon appointment and I ate something wayyy before and was at the point of getting hungry again, so was it the fact that I had nothing in my stomach? Was it swallowing some of the numbing gel?

This feels like a setback because while I've never been a fan of getting cleanings this it was just horrible.

Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

Sounds like a vaso-vagal response which can include nausea/vomiting- the flight or fight response- did you hold your breath while she injected? Low blood sugar may also have contributed if your adrenaline was pumping....

Did she wait it out, did you say anything?

I didn't, but I remember breathing in and out very slowly. I'm not afraid of needles, but it's never comforting to see them coming at you. :\ It just weirds me out because it's never happened before.

I didn't say anything, though I know I should've. I won't be seeing her again next time I go in, though.

Thank you, RP. Here's hoping it doesn't happen again.

Back