• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filed crown made tooth worse?

M

Mathieml

Hi,

I'm new here. I have extreme dental fear. I recently had to go to an endodontist for what my dentist thought would be a root canal on a molar with a crown, but the endodontist just ended up filing the crown to adjust my bite instead. This was a few days ago and now the tooth is bothering me even more. I'm worried that he decided to file it instead of doing the root canal because I had such anxiety. Should I make an appointment to go back or do you think my tooth is just irritated from the filing and will settle down after a while? If so, how long will it take to feel better?

thanks

Anyone there?

I should also add that both the dentist and endodontist said they didn't see anything on my X-rays to warrant a root canal. But, the dentist also said a problem with the nerve is the only explanation for the sensitivity and pain I have when putting any pressure on the tooth (which is why she sent me to the endodontist). Should I go back and request the root canal, even though they said they couldn't see a problem? Do you think they said they didn't see any problems just to calm me down, or not have to deal with an anxious patient? I don't know what to do and I just want my tooth to feel better so I can actually chew on that side of my mouth again. :shame:

I'm not a dentist, but if you're still in pain (especially if it's not getting any better) it seems like it's at least worth a call to the dentist.

I agree, you should go back.
Dentists have to work with a lot of people who are anxious. It's not a reason to alter the diagnosis so it's more likely that the endodontist doesnt think that the underlying problem will be cured by a root canal.

Back