• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling and gum recession

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bunny9
  • Start date Start date
B

Bunny9

Junior member
Joined
Jul 20, 2025
Messages
8
Location
Australia
Hi
Iam up for a filling in one of my molars in 3 weeks which I feel sick about. I’m going to get nitrous to help me through it..but He also wants to discuss and make decisions about potentially performing a gum graft surgery for on my ‘buccal’ area
This sounds horrific and painful
Can anyone explain this for me?
 
You'd really be better off discussing it with the person who's planning on doing it... :-)

Anyway, as a general explanation, the process basically involves taking a small slice of healthy gum tissue from a different site (normally the hard palate) and putting it onto an area where there has been some significant gum recession.
I've done it a couple of times, the patients didn't find it particularly unpleasant, it's a bit slow and fiddly to do.
 
Yes I understand but I’m not really in a state where I remember to ask questions or retain information in that setting/or in that state.
I thank you for your response this will help
 
There are some nice before and after shots on Google, but you might want to leave it since some of them are a bit graphic. Here's a safe one though pictures are a bit clearer than words I think:
1753286179791.png
 
Is this “pin hole” technique or the standard graft from the palate?
 
Standard graft from the palate.
 
Back
Top