• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling in four days

B

bobrien11

Hi all, first and foremost, you all some courageous people. You should be very proud of yourselves. Big love! Ok, about my situation. I go to the dentist every six months, just about and have had one cavity my entire life. That filling did not go well. I bit the dentist and the drilling hurt. I also have had a horrible experience with Novocain shots, having had them in my hand, forehand and knee. They were horribly painful. Lastly, i threw up after a blood test when i was younger. All of this has led to a horrible fear of needles.

Secondly, my fear has been exuberated by the fact that i spent a month in a hospital with my brother, who was battling cancer. I watched him deteriorate, before he died. Everything having to do with mental care freaks me out. A lot of PTSD.

So I have a cavity in the back of my mouth that my dentist says needs to be taken care of. Next Monday is the day. He promised me laughing gas and topical anesthetic before the shot. I am still real anxious about the whole thing. I cannnot get my mind around a needle in my mouth. He told me the procedure is nothing and real easy. I am taking the day off and my mother with me for support. I am in desperate need of someone telling me that it will be ok. Thanks b

Hi @bobrien11 and welcome!

Novocaine was actually discontinued for use in dentistry at the end of WW2 - I was stunned to see that Wikipedia seems to think it's still being used :o. Though I understand that it seems to be used in the general sense of "local anaesthetic", a bit like "hoovering" when you're not actually using a Hoover brand vacuum-cleaner. But I digress...

Anyway, you'll be pleased to hear that the "novocaine" (or, much more likely, lidocaine) shots used by dentists are completely different from anaesthetic shots for other parts of the body :) . For starters, the needles are much much finer, and they have bevelled edges which make them glide in imperceptibly (sp?). With a bit of care, there is no reason why dental injections should be painful. You can find lots more interesting info here:

It's great that you've made your dentist aware of your fear - it sounds as if he'll do his utmost to make things go easily and smoothly for you! Take his word for it - it will be easy, and the worry in the run-up to the appointment will be the worst thing about it.

Wishing you all the best for Monday - please let us know how it went :clover:!

Thank you so much for you kind words of support. Got a question for the group, do I tell my dentist to tell me everything they are doing as they work through the procedure or do I tell my dentist not to say a thing and just let me feel enjoy the laughing gas?

Some people feel more empowered (and less anxious as a result) when they know what is happening, while others prefer distraction or just zoning out... so there's no right or wrong answer to this one... Do you have any preference? Or you might want to know exactly what is happening during some parts of the procedure, but just chill during others?

Well, that is a great question. I am terrified of the needle and the rest does not bother me as much. My gut tells me that if the topical and laughing gas are working like they are supposed to, i keep my eyes closed and he does not tell me that the needle is coming then there is a chance that i will not not even realize that it is happening. I think i am leaning toward taking that chance.

Hi @bobrien11 how did it go? Hope you're doing OK!

Back