• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally booked, petrified!

A

Att

So glad to find a forum that understands what it feels like!

I haven't been to the dentist in over 14 years (apart from an emergency 6 years ago) because I'm so scared. I broke a tooth in September and have noticed new cavaties in my front lower teeth along with gums that have receded.

I have an appointment booked with a new dentist next week (I've never felt pride like I did making that phone call!), a check up initially but I know its needed and to start my new journey of teeth care. I have put it off for so long and I know it's for the best but I'm so scared of the worst, the embarrassment and of the pain, has anyone got any advice?

I just joined here too and managed to get to a new dentist for a check up this morning. Like you I was terrified making the appointment. That first step is so hard so well done.
It wasn't easy, but the dentist was kind even though I need to have a lot of work done. I'm going back on Weds as he wanted to start as soon as possible. I'm sorry I don't have any words of wisdom, but I hope your dentist is kind and you feel better after the appointment. I think we worry ourselves so much by imagining all the things the dentist is going to say and do! Wishing you luck.

I just joined here too and managed to get to a new dentist for a check up this morning. Like you I was terrified making the appointment. That first step is so hard so well done.
It wasn't easy, but the dentist was kind even though I need to have a lot of work done. I'm going back on Weds as he wanted to start as soon as possible. I'm sorry I don't have any words of wisdom, but I hope your dentist is kind and you feel better after the appointment. I think we worry ourselves so much by imagining all the things the dentist is going to say and do! Wishing you luck.
Well done to you for going! I'm glad you had a kind dentist, and it sounds like a very proactive one too. Fingers crossed for Wednesday ? and thankyou, I know if I don't do it now things will only get worse!

Hi Att :welcome: ,

well done on starting this journey! :claps: I know it's scary... there must be a lot going on in your thoughts and emotions right now. Ithink the first appointment is the most scary one, after that things will get better gradually.

If you are scared of feelings of embarrassment, this article here may help you to change perspective a little bit. It's like reading what's really going on in a dentist's mind:

Another article that may be interesting is this one, it's about how to prepare for the first appointment. It may give you some guidance and reassurance:

All the best wishes, looking forward to your updates!

Hi Att,

Allow me to share with you some of the videos I made which might interest you:

All the best,
Daniel