• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally facing my fears

C

Courtenay

Well ive done it, booked an appt for dec 15th. Im so anxious as i havent been in about 10 years and know i have extensive work to be done. But im so tired of the anxiety controlling my life..... tips?

Well ive done it, booked an appt for dec 15th. Im so anxious as i havent been in about 10 years and know i have extensive work to be done. But im so tired of the anxiety controlling my life..... tips?

I hope that someone else chimes in with some tips, but I couldn't help but notice the date of your appointment. Both another fearful person on this board, and I, are both seeing dentists on the 15th! It must be world face-your-fear day.

Good luck with yours and I hope that we all can report back afterward, about how well things went.

:jump:

I hope that someone else chimes in with some tips, but I couldn't help but notice the date of your appointment. Both another fearful person on this board, and I, are both seeing dentists on the 15th! It must be world face-your-fear day.

Good luck with yours and I hope that we all can report back afterward, about how well things went.

:jump:

Thank you!! Maybe thats a good thing! I just made my appointment today and i am feeling pretty proud about making sometime for me.... i filled in all the online stuff last night and emailed them about my anxiety and then called to book. I already send my husband and kids there so just taking this step is huge for me. I think i am going to try and ask my dr for some ativan though. Its strange, the work itself doesnt really scare me.... its this initial visit and opening my mouth for the exam :(

Hi, congrats on taking the first step in conquering your fear! I had not been to a dentist in 24 yrs because of fear and shame. I was totally embarrassed to have a dentist look into my mouth. I cried and hid my teeth for years. until one day my front tooth fell out, it had been loose for a while but I was too scared to do anything about it! finally I made an appointment with a local dentist. I was nervous wreck and cried myself to sleep every night until the day of the appointment! The dentist was nothing but kind to me! no judgment never said anything about how bad my teeth were, he just looked at them and we came up with a plan. after x-rays it was determined that I did need some extractions and I now have a lower partial. The partial really is no big deal it fits great and I have no issues as of yet. I go back in January to have more extractions on top and receive Another partial. so the lesson I learned was that the fear is always greater than what is actually going to happen in the office. I was treated respectfully and I experienced no pain. so please believe me if I can do it you can do it and trust me everything will turn out fine. Good luck to you and keep us posted we are all here for you!

I honestly think that booking the appointment and going tot he first appointment is the exact action where you take over the anxiety and not the anxiety controlling you. So you are already stronger then your anxiety. Good luck with the appointment and if there is anything meanwhile worries, questions etc we are here :innocent:

You've done the hard part already ?

Back