• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally facing my Waterloo!

Q

Quixote

I've been waiting for my first appointment for a root canal since April. It's supposed to be in two weeks, but a couple of weeks ago I rang the dental practice in tears and begging to be seen earlier, as the anxiety I was experiencing over my teeth was making me suicidal. They put me on the cancellation list, and today I was offered an appointment tomorrow.

At the moment I'm cycling wildly between the feeling that no dental appointment can be worse than being scared all the time, and the feeling that nothing in the world can be worse than seeing the dentist! My head is so full of all the terrible things that could happen and all of the awful things the dentist might say to me.

I've been waiting for my first appointment for a root canal since April. It's supposed to be in two weeks, but a couple of weeks ago I rang the dental practice in tears and begging to be seen earlier, as the anxiety I was experiencing over my teeth was making me suicidal. They put me on the cancellation list, and today I was offered an appointment tomorrow.

At the moment I'm cycling wildly between the feeling that no dental appointment can be worse than being scared all the time, and the feeling that nothing in the world can be worse than seeing the dentist! My head is so full of all the terrible things that could happen and all of the awful things the dentist might say to me.

I understand your fear and anxiety too too well. Congratulations on stepping forward and doing what you need to do. I've had three root canals (2 at the same time) and they all were pain-FREE. I assure you. It can be a little sore afterwards, but they'll usually prescribe you a good pain medication. On top of that you can take aleeve if you feel the need. Mash potatoes, apple sauce, soup, and smoothies are great for the day,possibly 2, afterwards. Just keep in mind to continue going to your appointments, as I, being deathly afraid as well, didn't finish any of the three. I need to get them all pulled out. Very proud of you for making an appointment and keeping it. It really is a irrational fear. let me know how it goes, as I have a tooth pulling soon. I find comfort reading peoples "after dentist success stories" :jump:

Ugh, anxiety is beginning to eat me alive. Help help help! I can't believe I'm going to have been to the dentist this time tomorrow, it seems insurmountable!

You can do it!! Can't wait to see your success post

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you today. My appointment is today as well and I'm also really scared!!! You're not alone!! I can totally relate to the feelings of not wanting to live as I have been there as well with my tooth pain and anxiety about getting it taken care of. I reached a point though, where the pain was overriding that fear, which is why I made the appointment. I will be praying for you!

Jenna

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you today. My appointment is today as well and I'm also really scared!!! You're not alone!! I can totally relate to the feelings of not wanting to live as I have been there as well with my tooth pain and anxiety about getting it taken care of. I reached a point though, where the pain was overriding that fear, which is why I made the appointment. I will be praying for you!

Jenna

Jenna, I will be thinking of you too! We can do it together. Thank you so much for your post. I dreamed about the dentist all night but am currently pretty calm. Looking forward to the sedative, hopefully I won't give a damn what's going on. And tonight we'll be posting our success stories. Off to beat this phobia now. GOOD LUCK!

Did I catch you in time? Hope so! Anyway, good luck Quixote, will be thinking of you! :XXLhug:

Just think how good you'll feel when you come out the other end.

Hi There

Hope you managed to make your appointment and all has gone well:)

I am back! A bit sore and sluggish after the experience, but I MADE IT! The sedationist and his nurse were lovely and really put me at my ease - not sure about the dentist because I was asleep. He seemed nice though. I have to go back for a couple more fillings on the other side, but I'm not particularly afraid about it now. Hooray! For some reason while I was recovering from sedation I cried my eyes out, which was embarrassing, but I don't really remember why it happened! The nurse said a lot of people do it though.

I've got a few almalgam fillings now, which I've never had before. They look quite pale and feel quite rough, is that normal? Will they smooth down in time?

is Amalgam the metal (dark ) filling?? I have an old metal filling from childhood I guess and sometimes the edges feel rough.

GOOD JOB!!!!!

So glad to hear it went well! Well done you :jump:

Hello, all! Back to give a longer update now that the sedative has definitely worn off. I was really out of it for ages afterwards. My partner said I was rolling around on the train giggling and unable to keep water in my mouth without drooling it all down my shirt. Also, apparently the reason I cried after coming around from sedatives is because I thought the dentist had removed my chin (!!!) and didn't understand why!

The fillings have felt a bit weird and gritty, which made me panic, but they seem to be calming down now. I'm still not confident about what I can eat with them (I have some root vegetable crisps which I'm longing to tear into, but I'm worried about cracking a filling!) but that will come with time.

I think the dentist did a really good job, and the sedationist was the loveliest man ever. I normally have huge issues with being touched by strange men, but I explained my issues and he was very gentle - he told me exactly which parts of me he needed to touch (only my arm and hand, to squeeze my wrist & insert the needle for sedation) and talked me through everything. He was absolutely exemplary.

oh god oh god OH GOD, I just rang the dentist to ask about there still being some pain - an intermittent ache - and the nurse told me that one of the teeth I got filled has a very deep filling and may need to be extracted.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

Back